Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 07:43:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations of the IETF.

        Title           : NXDOMAIN really means there is nothing underneath
        Authors         : Stephane Bortzmeyer
                          Shumon Huque
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-02.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2016-04-07

Abstract:
   This document states clearly that when a DNS resolver receives a
   response with response code of NXDOMAIN, it means that the domain
   name which is thus denied AND ALL THE NAMES UNDER IT do not exist.

   REMOVE BEFORE PUBLICATION: this document should be discussed in the
   IETF DNSOP (DNS Operations) group, through its mailing list.  The
   source of the document, as well as a list of open issues, is
   currently kept at Github [1].

   This documents clarifies RFC 1034 and modifies a bit RFC 2308 so it
   updates both of them.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 16:46:11 +0200

On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 07:43:29AM -0700,
 [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote 

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-02.txt

We believe it implements all the changes that were on the slides at
the Buenos Aires meeting and that it addresses all the remarks we got
(and even a few more).

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 21:39:32 +0200

On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 04:46:11PM +0200,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote 

> the Buenos Aires meeting and that it addresses all the remarks we got

It seems everyone was tired after Buenos-Aires. Come on, you certainly
have something to say, positive or negative, about this draft.

---

From: Bob Harold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:10:05 -0400

> have something to say, positive or negative, about this draft.

I was not in Buenos-Aires, but I have just reread the draft and have some
questions.

Page 3 (section 2 Rules) 5th paragraph - "NXDOMAIN cut" refers to the draft
name.  Will that need to be replaced by "this RFC" or something in the
final version, or is the 'name' of the RFC still used?

Page 4, section 3, first paragraph - "send" should be "sends" ?

Everything else looks good to me.

-- 
Bob Harold

---

From: Matthew Pounsett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:08:54 -0700

> have something to say, positive or negative, about this draft.

Still considering the text, but I have one nit now:
The HTML at <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-nxdomain-cut-02>
has not properly generated the updates links.  I think it may be a problem
in the source XML, where <rfc updates="..."> is expecting ", " as a
delimiter between RFC numbers rather than "," (no trailing space).

>
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>