Subject: [DNSOP] RFC 7828 on The edns-tcp-keepalive EDNS0 Option

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 19:27:42 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7828

        Title:      The edns-tcp-keepalive EDNS0 Option 
        Author:     P. Wouters, 
                    J. Abley,
                    S. Dickinson, 
                    R. Bellis
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 24282
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7828

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7828

DNS messages between clients and servers may be received over 
either UDP or TCP.  UDP transport involves keeping less state 
on a busy server, but can cause truncation and retries over 
TCP.  Additionally, UDP can be exploited for reflection attacks.  
Using TCP would reduce retransmits and amplification.  However, 
clients commonly use TCP only for retries and servers typically 
use idle timeouts on the order of seconds.

This document defines an EDNS0 option ("edns-tcp-keepalive") 
that allows DNS servers to signal a variable idle timeout.  
This signalling encourages the use of long-lived TCP connections 
by allowing the state associated with TCP transport to be managed
effectively with minimal impact on the DNS transaction time.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations 
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC