Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 09:42:24 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations of the IETF.

        Title           : DNS Terminology
        Authors         : Paul Hoffman
                          Andrew Sullivan
                          Kazunori Fujiwara
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis-02.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2016-08-04

Abstract:
   The DNS is defined in literally dozens of different RFCs.  The
   terminology used by implementers and developers of DNS protocols, and
   by operators of DNS systems, has sometimes changed in the decades
   since the DNS was first defined.  This document gives current
   definitions for many of the terms used in the DNS in a single
   document.

   This document will be the successor to RFC 7719.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Paul Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 09:48:16 -0700

Greetings again. As you can see from the diffs, we've made some progress 
on new terms: root hits and trust anchor. We also made a (tentative) 
decision to *not* have this document update older RFCs simply because 
there were so few that would be updated, and they were so old that the 
update would probably not mean much. Instead, we added an appendix with 
the (short) list of terms that were actually being updated.

Our intention for this month is to add a bunch of other terms from RFCs. 
I'll also start some threads about terms that we should probably define 
but that are not in RFCs.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 14:36:45 +0000

Paul,

Thanks for the update... comment below:

On Aug 4, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Our intention for this month is to add a bunch of other terms from RFCs. I'll also start some threads about terms that we should probably define but that are not in RFCs.

In writing the draft about crypto algorithm agility ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-york-dnsop-deploying-dnssec-crypto-algs-01 ) we ran into an issue where we needed to talk about "signing software". (section 2.3)  This is software such as OpenDNSSEC that is used in the current DNS infrastructure to do the actual signing of zones.  I seem to recall various vendors also having services that would do the signing on the fly for you.

This software is of course part of an "authoritative server" defined in your section 5 - https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-bis-02#section-5 - but also can be operated on a separate server.

I don't know if you / others feel this warrants having an entry in the DNS terminology, but I thought I would point it out.  We're also definitely open to adjusting the crypto agility draft to use another term if someone has a better suggestion than "signing software".

Dan

--
Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>   +1-802-735-1624
Jabber: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Skype: danyork   http://twitter.com/danyork

http://www.internetsociety.org/

---

From: william manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 02:19:00 -0700

i look at much of the current work product and it reminds me of the term
"guilding the lily"...
my view of the DNS landscape is a series of concentric circles,  the center
is DNS protocol fundamentals, the namespace and wire formats.  outside that
are things like namespace representation, which has, for decades, carried
the problem of GIGO and was nearly always considered outside the scope of
the DNS itself.  DNSSEC additions added some things to core features (new
RR types & wire formats), but also spent huge amounts of time on both
channel integrity (TSIG/SIG(0)) and ensuring that GIGO was minimized for
DNSSEC data.  This is still in the remit of namespace representation.  In a
layer even further outside the DNS itself, there are tools to provide
assurance, before the data enters the namespace, that the data is "good".
This is clearly in the remit of massaging the data before its placed in the
namespace representation, so that the DNS can move it about in the
appropriate wire formats.

TL:DR - This is not DNS terminology per se, its Data Integrity tools
terminology as applied to data which is intended to be used inside the DNS.
  And yeah, somebody should write down the perfect chocolate chip cookie
recipe.  Cause there can be only one perfect way to do this.

/Wm

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Dan York <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I'll also start some threads about terms that we should probably define but
> that are not in RFCs.
>
>
> In writing the draft about crypto algorithm agility (
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-york-dnsop-deploying-
> dnssec-crypto-algs-01 ) we ran into an issue where we needed to talk
> about "signing software". (section 2.3)  This is software such as
> OpenDNSSEC that is used in the current DNS infrastructure to do the actual
> signing of zones.  I seem to recall various vendors also having services
> that would do the signing on the fly for you.
>
> This software is of course part of an "authoritative server" defined in
> your section 5 - https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-terminology-
> bis-02#section-5 - but also can be operated on a separate server.
>
> I don't know if you / others feel this warrants having an entry in the DNS
> terminology, but I thought I would point it out.  We're also definitely
> open to adjusting the crypto agility draft to use another term if someone
> has a better suggestion than "signing software".
>
> Dan
>
>
> --
> Dan York
> [email-masked]   +1-802-735-1624
> Jabber: [email-masked]
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>
>