Subject: [DNSOP] AAAA for e.root-servers.net

From: 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 09:57:24 -0700

I just noticed e.root-servers.net has AAAA:

% dig @a.root-servers.net e.root-servers.net aaaa +short
2001:500:a8::e

It seems to be added very recently:
http://root-servers.org/archives/2016-08-26/e-root.yml
(Its 'IPv6' field is empty in
http://root-servers.org/archives/2016-08-25/e-root.yml)

and (quite reasonably if it's really a recent change) doesn't seem to
be included as hardcoded "hint" in latest dev versions of BIND 9 or
unbound.

But I don't remember I heard a plan of this addition before; I've
googled for keywords like 'e.root-servers.net AAAA', but couldn't find
anything obviously related to this in top results.

Perhaps I've missed something...I'd appreciate it if someone could
enlighten me on this.

Thanks,

--
JINMEI, Tatuya

---

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 18:40:40 +0100

> be included as hardcoded "hint" in latest dev versions of BIND 9 or

I've raised a ticket.

Ray

---

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 10:53:10 +0800

Ray,

At 2016-08-26 18:40:40 +0100

> > be included as hardcoded "hint" in latest dev versions of BIND 9 or

Thanks, but I'm curious... raised a ticket... where? Via the "Contact
Us" page here?

https://e.root-servers.org/contact

Doesn't ISC have access to the super-secret root server operations
channels? Perhaps even contact details of the people at NASA who run
this service?

Cheers,

--
Shane

---

From: william manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 21:28:19 -0700

Actually, any of the root ops have that data.  I suspect this is a
"pre-opening", to gauge reachability of the prefix before public commit.
That was the operational practice for the 20+ years I was active in root
ops.

/Wm

On Sunday, 28 August 2016, Shane Kerr <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Ray Bellis <[email-masked] <javascript:;>> wrote:
>

---

From: Shane Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:43:47 +0800

Bill,

At 2016-08-28 21:28:19 -0700

> That was the operational practice for the 20+ years I was active in root

Can you please explain what "pre-opening" means in this context?

The E root server has an AAAA record in the root-servers.net zone, so
priming queries pick up the server. The server appears to be answering
queries on IPv6.

It looks like it's fully functional. :)

Has it really been operational practice to roll things out and then
tell everyone about it (or not) at some point in the future? Certainly
for renumbering events recently there has been some advance notice,
which seems prudent.

Cheers,

--
Shane

---

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:02:16 +0100

> On 29 Aug 2016, at 03:53, Shane Kerr <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I've raised a ticket on ISC's RT to get the new server added to BIND's built-in root hints.

> channels? Perhaps even contact details of the people at NASA who run

Normally we update when we see the public announcement - I don't believe there has yet been one this time.

Ray

---

From: william manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 05:46:18 -0700

You should probably wait until it's formally added to the root hints file.

On Monday, 29 August 2016, Ray Bellis <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
> > On 29 Aug 2016, at 03:53, Shane Kerr <[email-masked]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> Sorry, I should have been clearer - I've raised a ticket on ISC's RT to
> get the new server added to BIND's built-in root hints.
>
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked] <javascript:;>
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>

---

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:47:40 +0100

> You should probably wait until it's formally added to the root hints

It is in the root hints file.

Ray

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:01:20 -0400

> It is in the root hints file.

It's also not super urgent.

I'm guessing that everyone involved in this discussion already knows
this, but on bind-users / dns-operations and similar we keep seeing
emails of the form "Panic! My root hints file is out of date! Panic,
panic, freak-out. How do I fix it, if my name-server reboots will it
die?! Panic!"...

Yeah, it should be updated, but there is no need to panic...

W

> [email-masked]

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 09:57:37 -0700

At Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:01:20 -0400,

> It's also not super urgent.

I didn't mean to say it's urgent or to trigger a panic.

I just happened to notice 'dig @<some-known-root-server> . ns +norec'
now includes AAAA for
e.root-servers.net, and that IPv6 address seems to work as a valid
root server, and the IPv6 address is in
http://root-servers.org/archives/2016-08-26/e-root.yml

All of these seemed to suggest this new IPv6 address is fully
operational and public, yet I don't remember I heard anything about
the addition.  So I thought I should have simply missed something,
and asked it here.  According to this thread, it looks like this is
indeed a news for some others.  If that's the case, perhaps the root
ops might think of a better way of publicizing this type of change
(not only for renumbering an existing address).  Otherwise it might
actually cause some kind of unnecessary "panic" next time.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya