Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Mitigation of name collisions

From: Keith Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 11:39:14 -0400

> william manning <[email-masked]> Tue, 20 September 2016
> 04:29 UTC wrote:

> back in the early days of potentially confusing
> assignments/delegations,  I was asked to stand up authoritative
> servers for the RFC 1918 space.   The first iteration was just a
> wildcard to TXT.    Clients (early microsoft clients in particular)
> panic'ed and flooded the links looking for an authoritative answer.
> Second iteration (some 15 minutes later) did the wildcard to
> link-local.   Some 90 minutes later, Mockapetris, Postel, and the
> university legal walked into the office and and asked (politley) to 
> take the servers offline.   Which was done.   The RFC 1918 space 
> authoritative DNS service was tweeked after it moved to ICANN,  Joe
> Abley took on that role.

> The traces still exist. DNS-OARC was not interested, neither was
> SDSC, nor ICANN (at the time)...

>From an OARC point of view, we did some back-checking of our
institutional memory such as it is, and were unable to track down these
traces being offered, or by whom/at what point they were declined. Which
is not to say this didn't happen.

Anyway, on the basis that the volume of this historic trace data is
unlikely to be large by modern storage infrastructure standards, if the
offer for OARC to take on these traces and preserve and make them
available under our usual terms is still open, and there is community
interest for doing so, we'd be happy to.

Please Bill follow-up with me offline if you'd like to explore this.

Keith