Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 10:54:06 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Serving Stale Data to Improve DNS Resiliency
        Authors         : David C Lawrence
                          Warren "Ace" Kumari
                          Puneet Sood
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-03.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2019-02-23

Abstract:
   This draft defines a method for recursive resolvers to use stale DNS
   data to avoid outages when authoritative nameservers cannot be
   reached to refresh expired data.  It updates the definition of TTL
   from [RFC1034], [RFC1035], and [RFC2181] to make it clear that data
   can be kept in the cache beyond the TTL expiry and used for responses
   when a refreshed answer is not readily available.  One of the
   motivations for serve-stale is to make the DNS more resilient to DoS
   attacks, and thereby make them less attractive as an attack vector.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Bob Harold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:24:12 -0500

> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale-03
In section 5:
Will the "resolution recheck timer" cause ttl's less than the timer to be
effectively lengthened, by refusing to look them up again?

I think 'serve-stale' should focus on the situation where the auth server
is not available, and not change the handling of short ttl's.  Or am I
mis-reading that?

-- 
Bob Harold