Subject: Re: [DNSOP] RFC 2845bis draft

From: Martin Hoffmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 18:08:29 +0100

Peter J. Philipp wrote:
> 
> I'm in contact with the original RFC 2845 authors for clarifications
> on what is meant in section 4.4 for the meaning of "Prior MAC
> (running)". In the bis draft this is in section 6.4 and seems
> unchanged.  I'm having a hard time understanding this as an
> implementor, this is an area that needs clarification I believe.

Actually, looking at this now, the definition of the digest components
in this section is even more unclear:

|      Prior Digest (running)
|      DNS Messages (any unsigned messages since the last TSIG)
|      TSIG Timers (current message)

I am probably overthinking this, but the second item can be read as if
it only contains the messages sent unsigned so far and does _not_
include the message currently being processed. This seems a bit
unlikely, but then, there must be a reason why it says "any unsigned
message" and not simply "any message".

I guess I’ll find out what is exactly meant when I am going to test my
implementation. But either way, this could perhaps be more clear?

Kind regards,
Martin