Subject: [DNSOP] draft-fujiwara-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-01

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 13:04:40 +0900 (JST)

Dear dnsop WG,

Please review draft-fujiwara-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-01.
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fujiwara-dnsop-avoid-fragmentation-01

Main differences are:
- New Co-author
- Refer RFC 8085 UDP Usage Guidelines
- SHOULD send DNS responses with IP_DONTFRAG / IPV6_DONTFRAG [RFC3542]
- Use actual path MTU information, or the default maximum DNS/UDP payload size
   - Added text about how to retrieve path MTU value in appendix
     	   getsockopt() IP_MTU and IPV6_MTU (Linux only)
   - default maximum DNS/UDP payload size >= 1220, and <= 1400
- Request to zone operator: Use smaller contents (number of RRs, DNSSEC key)

--
Kazunori Fujiwara, JPRS <[email-masked]>

---

From: Bob Harold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 11:30:03 -0400

> - Request to zone operator: Use smaller contents (number of RRs, DNSSEC

Thank you for working on this.  I would like to suggest updates to two
sections so that they read better.

----- current:

1.  Introduction

   DNS has EDNS0 [RFC6891] mechanism.  It enables that DNS server can
   send large size response using UDP.  Now EDNS0 is widely deployed,
   and DNS (over UDP) is said to be the biggest user of IP
   fragmentation.

---- rewrite:

1.  Introduction

   DNS has the EDNS0 [RFC6891] mechanism, which enables a DNS server to
   send large size response using UDP.  Now that EDNS0 is widely deployed,
   DNS (over UDP) is said to be the biggest user of IP
   fragmentation.

------ current:

5.  Incremental deployment

   The proposed method supports incremental deployment.

   When a full-service resolver implements the proposed method, the
   full-service resolver becomes to avoid IP fragmentation in DNS.

   When an authoritative server implements the proposed method, the
   authoritative server becomes to avoid IP fragmentation in DNS.

---- rewrite:

5.  Incremental deployment

   The proposed method supports incremental deployment.

   When a full-service resolver implements the proposed method, the
   full-service resolver avoids IP fragmentation in DNS.

   When an authoritative server implements the proposed method, the
   authoritative server avoids IP fragmentation in DNS.

-- 
Bob Harold