Subject: [DNSOP] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue-14

From: Dan Romascanu via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 22:58:05 -0800

Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review result: Ready

I apologize for the late review. Notifications still seem not to work, and I
was not aware about this assignment until recently. I hope it does not come too
late.

This document identifies a number of common kinds of DNS queries to which some
servers either fail to respond or else respond incorrectly. It also suggests
test procedures for zone operators to apply to identify and remediate the
problems caused by misbehaving (non-compliant) servers. Operators are principal
users of this document, so it's relevant for them. The document is a BCP, so a
full RFC 5706 review does not apply.

I am not a DNS expert, and I suspect that a proper review was / will be made on
all DNS-related details. I found the document a little bit difficult to read
because of the lack of expansions and references of many acronyms, but I guess
that DNS experts are familiar with most or all of them.

Sections 8 and 9 are very useful for operators and I recommend focusing on
these. The sections provide a number of recommendations for testing procedures
to be performed at first operation and later periodically, and means to
mitigate issues.

This document is Ready from an OPS perspective.