Subject: [DNSOP] Protocol Action: 'A Common Operational Problem in DNS Servers - Failure To Communicate' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue-20.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 09:06:23 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A Common Operational Problem in DNS Servers - Failure To Communicate'
  (draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue-20.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the Domain Name System Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Robert Wilton.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-no-response-issue/

Technical Summary

   Failing to respond to DNS queries, or responding incorrectly, 
   causes both immediate operational problems and long term 
   problems with protocol development.
   This document identifies a number of common kinds of DNS queries which
   some servers either fail to respond or else respond incorrectly.
   This document also suggests procedures for zone operators to apply to
   identify and remediate the problem.

Working Group Summary

  The document initially prescribed remediation for failing to 
  respond correctly.  After much working group debate, this
  wording was removed and the document focused on documenting
  the failure scenarios.

Document Quality

  Document quality is good and has been through several reviews.
  Comments raised at IETF LC were addressed. 

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Tim Wicinski
Responsible Area Director: Warren Kumari