Subject: [DNSOP] RFC 9018 on Interoperable Domain Name System (DNS) Server Cookies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 22:42:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9018

        Title:      Interoperable Domain Name System (DNS) 
                    Server Cookies 
        Author:     O. Sury,
                    W. Toorop,
                    D. Eastlake 3rd,
                    M. Andrews
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Updates:    RFC 7873

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-dnsop-server-cookies-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9018

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9018

DNS Cookies, as specified in RFC 7873, are a lightweight DNS
transaction security mechanism that provide limited protection to DNS
servers and clients against a variety of denial-of-service
amplification, forgery, or cache-poisoning attacks by off-path
attackers.

This document updates RFC 7873 with precise directions for creating
Server Cookies so that an anycast server set including diverse
implementations will interoperate with standard clients, with
suggestions for constructing Client Cookies in a privacy-preserving
fashion, and with suggestions on how to update a Server Secret.  An
IANA registry listing the methods and associated pseudorandom
function suitable for creating DNS Server Cookies has been created
with the method described in this document as the first and, as of
the time of publication, only entry.

This document is a product of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC