Subject: [DNSOP] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl-04.txt> (NSEC and NSEC3 TTLs and NSEC Aggressive Use) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 15:10:09 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Domain Name System Operations WG
(dnsop) to consider the following document: - 'NSEC and NSEC3 TTLs and NSEC
Aggressive Use'
  <draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-05-04. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Due to a combination of unfortunate wording in earlier documents,
   aggressive use of NSEC and NSEC3 records may deny names far beyond
   the intended lifetime of a denial.  This document changes the
   definition of the NSEC and NSEC3 TTL to correct that situation.  This
   document updates RFC 4034, RFC 4035, RFC 5155, and RFC 8198.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-nsec-ttl/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.