Subject: [DNSOP] Francesca Palombini's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-03: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Francesca Palombini via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 05:45:24 -0700

Francesca Palombini has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang-03: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work on this document.

(This is a "let's talk" DISCUSS, which I don't expect to hold after the
telechat) I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to add a step where IANA gets the
help of the designated experts from each respective registry when elements are
added to the DNS class or RR type registries, either by the experts creating
the substatements to be added, or at least checking and confirming those
created by IANA.

A couple of minor comments below.

Francesca

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. -----

   models along with standard management protocols such as NETCONF and
   RESTCONF can be effectively used in DNS operations, too.  In fact,

FP: Please expand NETCONF and RESTCONF on first use.

2. -----

FP: I believe it would be good to add a sentence in the terminology section
stating that DNS terminology is used throughout the document, and point to RFC
8499 and/or RFC 1035. I think informatively would be enough.

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 18:31:19 +0200

Hi Francesca,

thanks for your comments, please see below.

Francesca Palombini via Datatracker <[email-masked]> writes:

...

If you mean YANG expertise, then I believe it is already embodied in the XSLT stylesheet. In principle, IANA can run it after each change in the registry and get the new revision of the YANG module.

> A couple of minor comments below.

I can do it for NETCONF but (to my knowledge) RESTCONF is the name of the protocol and no expansion exists.

> 8499 and/or RFC 1035. I think informatively would be enough.

OK, will do.

Thanks, Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka
Head, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: 0xB8F92B08A9F76C67