Subject: [DNSOP] I-D Action: draft-salgado-dnsop-rrserial-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 08:48:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : The "RRSERIAL" EDNS option for the SOA serial of a RR's zone
        Authors         : Hugo Salgado
                          Mauricio Vergara Ereche
	Filename        : draft-salgado-dnsop-rrserial-01.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2021-06-03

Abstract:
   The "RRSERIAL" EDNS option allows a DNS querier to request a DNS
   authoritative server to add an EDNS option in the answer of such
   query with the SOA serial number field of the origin zone which
   contains the answered Resource Record.

   This "RRSERIAL" data allows to debug and diagnose problems by helping
   to recognize the data source of an answer in an atomic single query,
   by associating the response with a respective zone version.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-salgado-dnsop-rrserial/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-salgado-dnsop-rrserial-01.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-salgado-dnsop-rrserial-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Hugo Salgado <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 11:51:16 -0400

Dear group. Version -01 has substantive changes according to the
comments in the list.

The most important:

- qname is used to associate the serial's zone, and thus avoid
  associating it to the answer, that can be empty or multiple;
- its use is not prohibited in resolvers, but remains undefined;
- the length of the answer is defined as 0 for questions and 4 for
  answers;
- added SERVFAIL use in addition to NOERROR (optional);
- clarified use for NODATA;
- an applicability consideration is added that advises against its use
  in zones that do not make sense of the SOA's serial;
- a security consideration is added about the risk of not carrying
  dnssec signatures.

Regards,

Hugo

On 08:48 03/06, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> DNSOP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dnsop
>