Subject: [DNSOP] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-07

From: Joe Clarke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 12:42:51 -0700

Reviewer: Joe Clarke
Review result: Ready

I have been assigned draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https to review on behalf of the Ops
Directorate.  This document describes two new RR types (Service Binding [SVCB]
and HTTPS).  From an operational standpoint, I think this document is ready,
and I appreciate the attention paid to interoperability with approaches such as
ECS, Alt-Svc, etc.

I did find two issues with the document, however.  On a more editorial front, I
found a few references to "ServiceForm" and "AliasForm" (the former being in
the appending, but the latter showing up in Security Considerations).  These
seem to be left over from a former revision and probably should be ServiceMode
and AliasMode now, correct?

Second, you use the term "SVCB-compatible" early on in Section 1, and you
mention what its definition might be in Section 1.4, but I don't really get a
clear picture of what makes an RR SVCB-compatible.  I feel the document should
expound on the minimum requirements to be considered as such.

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 11:25:33 -0400

-last-call

Thanks for the review, Joe.  Those are good observations, and Dale Worley
seems to agree based on his review.  The authors are working on fixes here:
https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/pull/335.

---

From: "Joe Clarke (jclarke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 17:06:18 +0000

Thanks, Ben.  I read through the diff, and your description of SVCB-compatible works for me.  I might just suggest adding section references for each of the implementation points.

Joe

On 8/17/21 11:26, Ben Schwartz wrote:
-last-call

Thanks for the review, Joe.  Those are good observations, and Dale Worley seems to agree based on his review.  The authors are working on fixes here: https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/pull/335.

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 3:42 PM Joe Clarke via Datatracker <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Reviewer: Joe Clarke
Review result: Ready