Subject: [DNSOP] Erik Kline's Yes on draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7816bis-10: (with COMMENT)

From: Erik Kline via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 16:13:28 -0700

Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7816bis-10: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-rfc7816bis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[S2.1 comment]

* It seems to me that using A QTYPEs for Happy Eyeballs clients is
  only a "potential benefit" for an IPv4 connection setup, and does
  nothing to aid any possible IPv6 connection setup.

  There are networks with IPv6-only clients accessing mostly
  IPv6-reachable services for which this might actually slow down
  services (by delaying AAAA resolution resulting in an IPv4
  connection setup that uses something like NAT64 rather than
  native IPv6).

  Suggestion 1: Just trim these HE-related sentences.

  Suggestion 2: Make it clear that this might not always be a "benefit"
                in certain network deployments.