Subject: [DNSOP] Erik Kline's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Erik Kline via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 00:44:00 -0800

Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-08: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/ 
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Appendix D.2]

* Sorry to be super nitpicky/petty about this.

  With respect to Figure 7: IPv4-mapped IPv6 addresses have a complicated
  history (see RFC 4942 S2.2 for an amuse-bouche, as well as itojun's
  draft-itojun-v6ops-v4mapped-harmful).

  Unless there is something very useful to be gained by the inclusion of this
  example (what?) I would strongly suggest removing it.  I fear it will only
  cause confusion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

[S2.3; comment]

* "When a prior CNAME or SVCB record has aliased to a SVCB record, each
   RR shall be returned under its own owner name."

  I think this could use some explanation and a reference to Section 11.
  Perhaps something along the lines of

      This is in account of the client resolution process [Section 3].
      See also discussion in [Section 11.1].

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 12:52:21 -0500

This example will be changed to present only the "IPv4-embedded syntax",
removing the reference to IPv4-mapped IPv6 (
https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/pull/362).

> COMMENT:

 Noted at https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/issues/370