Subject: [DNSOP] Murray Kucherawy's Discuss on draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 23:40:05 -0800

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-08: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/ 
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 15.3.1 creates a new IANA registry with a First Come First Served
registration policy.  RFC 8126 says this of that policy:

   It is also important to understand that First Come First Served
   really has no filtering.  Essentially, any well-formed request is
   accepted.

Yet this document stipulates:

   [...]  The Format Reference
   MUST specify how to convert the SvcParamValue's presentation format
   to wire format and MAY detail its intended meaning and use.  An entry
   MAY specify a Format Reference of the form "Same as (other key Name)"
   if it uses the same presentation and wire formats as an existing key.

These seem to me to be in conflict.  We're asking IANA to do more than what the
BCP says is valid here.  Should this instead be Expert Review?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support Francesca's DISCUSS around use of SHOULDs.