Subject: [Doh] Welcome to DOH!

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 12:01:03 -0400

Hi all, and welcome to DOH!

We're very excited to get started with DNS over HTTPS!  As you may know,
this working group's charter says

"The working group will use draft-hoffman-dispatch-dns-over-https
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-dispatch-dns-over-https-00> as
input."  Please read it!

Based on advice from our Area Directors, unless we receive objections by
2017 October 27 (Friday), we will formally adopt this draft before the
deadline for IETF 100.

To avoid confusion: please read and critique this draft on this mailing
list, and bear in mind that your critiques will not interfere with adoption
unless you use the magic phrase "I object to adoption" or similar.

Sincerely,
Ben Schwartz

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 15:05:01 +1100

This is fine.

I have a fairly large number of relatively minor comments on the
draft.  Some of these might be progressed more effectively with
something like a pull request.  What are your plans for managing issue
tracking?

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 3:01 AM, Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> "The working group will use draft-hoffman-dispatch-dns-over-https as input."
> Please read it!
>
> _______________________________________________
> Doh mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/doh
>

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 00:11:49 -0400

As it happens, the authors of this draft already have an issue tracker open
for it on Github.  Maybe they can confirm whether they'd like to receive
additional comments there.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 13:57:15 +0000

> something like a pull request.  What are your plans for managing issue

We have submitted a wg-named -00 that has a GitHub repo listed in it. If the WG accepts the draft as the starting point, we can use the GitHub repo fro issues and pull requests. We (the authors) will also monitor the mailing list for issues that need to be added to the issue tracker in the repo.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 09:59:12 +1100

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 12:57 AM, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> We have submitted a wg-named -00 that has a GitHub repo listed in it.

That doesn't help me right now, at least until the usual searches
(draft-ietf-doh-*) return more than zero results.

---

From: "Hewitt, Rory" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 00:10:03 +0000

Hey Ben,

In the interim, would you prefer that we send our responses directly to this
mailing list? If so, who's going to be responsible for adding them to Github
as and when we get access?

Thanks,

Rory

Rory Hewitt
Akamai Technologies
Tel: (408) 650-0035

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:27:01 -0500

[as responsible area director]

Currently, IETF process is that any substantial discussion pertaining to 
adopted working group documents either happens on the working group 
mailing list [1], or in real-time meetings with minutes that are brought 
back to the mailing list. Using github for PRs and issue tracking is 
fine, but please make sure that all non-trivial discussion of issues 
happens on the mailing list.

/a

____
[1] It would be perfectly reasonable for the WG to decide that comments 
from the github repository are to be automatically emailed to the list. 
It would be up to the chairs to poll for consensus on whether the WG 
wants this to be part of how it operates.

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 18:19:24 -0400

> as and when we get access?

It seems like the best thing for now will be to comment on the list in the
old fashioned way.  If and when we adopt the draft, we can consider
alternative issue tracking.  Of course, you're also welcome to hold your
comments until we figure that out.