Subject: [Doh] New tool for using and testing DOH

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 10:21:32 -0400

Hi DOH,

(No chair hat)

My colleagues and I have been trying to make it easier to experience DNS
over HTTPS, and determine how well it performs in real-world usage.  To
that end, I’m pleased to announce Intra, an experimental DNS over HTTPS
client app for Android.  Intra routes all DNS queries on your Android
device through a DOH server of your choice. (Currently only dns.google.com
or cloudflare-dns.com, but I expect we’ll eventually figure out a way to
let you add your own).

App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.intra
Source code: https://github.com/jigsaw-code/intra

Intra currently uses Google’s pre-standard version of DOH with
dns.google.com, and uses draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https with
cloudflare-dns.com.

Let me know if you have questions or feedback about the app.

--Ben

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 15:29:11 +0000

On May 4, 2018, at 7:21 AM, Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Intra currently uses Google’s pre-standard version of DOH with dns.google.com, and uses draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https with cloudflare-dns.com.
> 

From the Looking A Gift Horse In The Mouth Department:

Could you please lean hard on dns.google.com to add support for draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https? Only offering a non-standard way to do this is surely going to cause later interop issues when developers say "I did DOH the Google way".

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 11:35:21 -0400

As I noted on the list in November, IETF DOH is available at
https://dns.google.com/experimental.  However, I intend to deactivate that
path (and move to a more permanent location) once the protocol is
finalized, so I would strongly discourage any clients from relying on it.

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Could you please lean hard on dns.google.com to add support for
> draft-ietf-doh-dns-over-https? Only offering a non-standard way to do this
> is surely going to cause later interop issues when developers say "I did
> DOH the Google way".
>
> --Paul Hoffman