Subject: [Dots] Protocol Action: 'Distributed Denial-of-Service Open Threat Signaling (DOTS) Telemetry' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-dots-telemetry-25.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 02:29:10 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Distributed Denial-of-Service Open Threat Signaling (DOTS) Telemetry'
  (draft-ietf-dots-telemetry-25.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the DDoS Open Threat Signaling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dots-telemetry/

Technical Summary

   This document aims to enrich DOTS signal channel protocol with
   various telemetry attributes allowing optimal Distributed Denial-of-
   Service attack mitigation.  It specifies the normal traffic baseline
   and attack traffic telemetry attributes a DOTS client can convey to
   its DOTS server in the mitigation request, the mitigation status
   telemetry attributes a DOTS server can communicate to a DOTS client,
   and the mitigation efficacy telemetry attributes a DOTS client can
   communicate to a DOTS server.  The telemetry attributes can assist
   the mitigator to choose the DDoS mitigation techniques and perform
   optimal DDoS attack mitigation.

Working Group Summary

  The first version of the document was published as individual draft in mid 2019.
  In December 2019 the draft was adopted as a working group document.
  The draft was widely discussed in DOTS WG during 2020, attracting
  most active WG members.

Document Quality

  Document authors are also co-authors of core DOTS documents (signal channel, data channel etc.)
  The draft was reviewed by YANG Doctors (twice) and by Ops Directorate.
  There are at least two interoperable implementations of the draft,
  one of which participated in IETF 106 Hackathon.

Personnel

  Valery Smyslov is the document shepherd
  Benjamin Kaduk is the responsible AD.