Subject: [dtn-users] DTNperf_3 ready to be included in DTN2

From: Caini Carlo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:54:33 +0200

Dear DTN2 users,
     I am pleased to inform you that the third major release of 
DTNperf (or DTNperf_3), the tool for DTN performance evaluation 
(goodput and Status Report logs) developed by my team, is ready to be released.

It is intended to replace in DTN2 the old DTNperf (2.x or DTNperf_2).

I would be pleased if this new version could be inserted in next DTN2 
versions (the bleeding edge and the future stable). Note that 
unfortunately it was not possible to make this new major release 
compatible with the previous ones, because of the many new features added.
A very concise description is given below (taken from the release 
notes of the new version). Further information will be provided after 
inclusion in DTN2.
I look forward a possible acceptance (and instructions on how to 
provide DTN2 maintainers with the code).
Yours ,
   Carlo Caini

DTNperf 3.x (DTNperf_3)
Authors: Michele Rodolfi, Anna d'Amico, Carlo Caini (project supervisor).
Although the aim is the same as previous versions, the project has 
been deeply redesigned and the code totally rewritten.
Three modes: client, server and monitor (new). They correspond to 
source, destination and "reply-to" dtn nodes. The monitor, in charge 
of collecting status reports in a .csv file, can be "internal" (on 
the source), or "external" (on a different node).
Server and external monitors can manage multiple instances of the client.
Three Tx modes: time, data and file. The first two are the same as 
before. The file mode is now much more robust as files segmented in 
multiple bundles can now be reassembled on the server even if 
received in disorder (but without losses).
Two congestion control methods: window based and rate based (new).
In the window based congestion control, bundle sent are now 
acknowledged by bundle ACKs sent by the server and no more by 
delivered status reports. In the rate based congestion control 
bundles are not acknowledged.
Support of both DTN2 and ION. The DTNperf application runs on top of 
a new "Abstraction Layer" (AL), which has the aim of decoupling the 
DTNperf application from the underlying BP implementation. DTNperf 
and AL can be compiled for either DTN2, ION or both (see the full 
release notes).

---

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-RHN0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:53:31 +0000

Carlo,

Is there a link to the tool and a description of how it was designed (e.g.
Bundle sizes, bundle lifetimes, etc...) and any assumptions about about the
DTN network or routing (e.g. Flooding vs Prophet or DTLSR, etc...)

Thanks,

Will

> From: Caini Carlo <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:54:33 +0200
> To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [dtn-users] DTNperf_3 ready to be included in DTN2
> 
> Dear DTN2 users,
> _______________________________________________
> dtn-users mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/dtn-users

---

From: ccaini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:05:40 +0200

Dear William,
   DTNperf_3 is an evolution of DTNperf_2. Like Iperf, both the versions
compute goodput between a client, the source, and a server, the destination
(when this makes sense, i.e. when the links are maybe with long delays but
continous or only moderately disrupted as in GEO sat), and collect all
status reports of a session in a .csv file (always useful but essential
when the network is partitioned). A new feature is that the "reply to:"
node can be any machine (i.e. not the sender). 
All the BP sending options are available (i.e. you can set the lifetime
you want, the status reports you like etc.). In ION you can also set all
the ECOS flags. There are no assumptions about routing as DTNperf is a DTN
"application", and as that it interfaces directly with the BP.
The tool is going to be presented as a demo at CHANTS 2013. I will be
pleased to show it personally to all people interested who will attend the
workshop.
After Chants 2013 (i.e. at the beginning of October) I suppose that I will
be allowed to post somewhere the paper describing the tool. The code also
contains a release note document with some examples of use. I could also
make available in the next days a link to a presentation pointing out the
differences with previous versions.
Thanks for your interest.
Yours,
   Carlo