Subject: [dtn] RFC5050bis Support

From: Carlo Caini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 20:12:52 +0200

Dear friends,
      I have been deeply involved in DTN research since 2005; my 
interest was first to possible GEO satellite applications, as the DTN 
architecture looked to me as a beautiful and elegant extension of 
usual TCP-splitting PEPs; then I moved to the study of LEOs, and then 
to Interplanetary applications, where DTN and BP are clearly a must. 
In 2009 I also installed the DTN protcols on a NOKIA N900 Linux 
smartphone, and I succesfully used it for a while. More recently, I 
have started studying its possible application to IoT.
As a result of this long term research, I have been teaching a 
Matsrer course on DTN at my University (in English), for both 
Telecommunication and Computer Science Engineering Students
http://www.engineeringarchitecture.unibo.it/en/programmes/course-unit-catalogue/course-unit/2017/401933

In brief, I have studied DTN in depth, and its possible applications 
in a wide variety of scenarios, not just in space. In all 
applications studied it can offer great advantages; to bring this 
possibility into reality, however, a widely recognized standard is necessary.
On the basis of my experience, it is a high time the Bundle Protocol 
become IETF standards. Actually, this is likely a step long overdue.
I am in strong favor of publishing the current BP draft as an Internet RFC.

Yours,
     Carlo

Prof. Carlo Caini
University of Bologna, Italy

I have been working on use of DTN's BP and LTP technologies for 
implementing space networks and terrestrial opportunistic and 
intermittent connectivity networks for years. With my understanding, 
the design philosophy and techniques of BP will surely be applicable 
to the challenging communications in terrestrial networks with high 
performance to be expected. I fully support publishing BP and its 
supporting protocols as the Internet RFCs.

Ruhai