Subject: [EAI] new to list and a question

From: Jeff Macdonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 14:19:06 -0400

Hi all,

I just read RFC 5336, the EAI SMTP extension doc. The last paragraph in
section 3.7.4.2. is:

Although UTF-8 is needed to represent email addresses in responses
under the rules specified in this section, this extension does not
permit the use of UTF-8 for any other purposes.  SMTP servers MUST
NOT include non-ASCII characters in replies except in the limited
cases specifically permitted in this section.

I'm reading this to mean that this rules out someone doing something
like this:

550 5.7.1 塩味の肉製品の特定利用について

(that is Japanese for "Salty meat products not accepted here", well
according to Google translate).

If that is true, it seems like the SMTP extension UTF8SMTP would of been
better named EAISMTP. I apologize if this was covered on the list
before, as I haven't read the archive extensively yet.

Is there a plan to allow the scenario I listed above?

PS - I haven't read the other two docs yet, so those may cover it, but
they do, it would seem to contradict 5336).

-- 
Jeff Macdonald <[email-masked]>
e-Dialog

_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:10:31 -0700

Hi Jeff,
>550 5.7.1 塩味の肉製品の特定利用について

Yes.

>before, as I haven't read the archive extensively yet.

The experiment is about a SMTP extension to allow 
the transport and delivery of messages with Internationalized Email Addresses.

>Is there a plan to allow the scenario I listed above?

There was an I-D (not part of EAI) for a SMTP 
extension to support different languages in SMTP replies.

Regards,
-sm

---

From: Jeff Macdonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:29:56 -0400

> the transport and delivery of messages with Internationalized Email Addresses.

yep, got that.

> extension to support different languages in SMTP replies.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-melnikov-smtp-lang-07?

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:00:10 +0200

Jeff Macdonald writes:
> I just read RFC 5336, the EAI SMTP extension doc. The last paragraph 
> in section 3.7.4.2. is:
> ...
> ...

I know of no such plan.

However, there is something very much like what you want for IMAP (one 
part of RFC 5255), and AFACIT implementers are ignoring it almost 
unanimously. Do you think an SMTP extension would have a more positive 
receiption?

Arnt

---

From: Jeff Macdonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:33:54 -0400

> > Is there a plan to allow the scenario I listed above?

sm re-enforced the point that EAI is for addresses, so it would make
sense there is no such plan.

> unanimously.

actually http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-melnikov-smtp-lang-07 is more
along the lines I was thinking, but from what I read so far, much more
extensive that I was thinking. It is basically incorporating gettext
into SMTP. 

>  Do you think an SMTP extension would have a more positive 
> receiption?

my first reaction to UTF8SMTP was "cool, now we can enter modern times
with SMTP being fully 8-bit and Unicode enabled." As for it having a
more positive reception, I can't really say. But if it isn't out there,
we'll never know.