Subject: [EAI] Usage of Punycode in EAI

From: "arfan mansoor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:18:49 +0500

Referred to below quoted text; Why Punycode is not as helpful in EAI
as it is in IDNs and what is meant by arbitrary free text in the below
quoted text?
Can't we apply same restrictions to email addresses as we did in IDN case.

'"1.2 Interaction of protocol parts (Retrieved from
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3492.txt on 4th Sept, 2008)

   Punycode is used by the IDNA protocol [IDNA] for converting domain
labels into ASCII; it is not designed for any other purpose.  It is
   explicitly not designed for processing arbitrary free text."

Regards
Arfan Mansoor
_______________________________________________
IMA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: Yangwoo Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:38:32 +0900

There can various answers to this question. My prompt response is that 
there is no practical way to choose punycode prefix (such as xn-- for 
IDN). And you will be able to find many more answers by searching 
through the archive of this mailing list.

arfan mansoor wrote:
> Referred to below quoted text; Why Punycode is not as helpful in EAI as it is in IDNs and what is meant by arbitrary free text in the below quoted text?
>
> '"1.2 Interaction of protocol parts (Retrieved from http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3492.txt on 4th Sept, 2008)
>
>
>    Punycode is used by the IDNA protocol [IDNA] for converting domain labels into ASCII; it is not designed for any other purpose.  It is
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:19:15 +0200

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:18:49PM +0500,
 arfan mansoor <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 51 lines which said:

> Why Punycode is not as helpful in EAI as it is in IDNs

There was little choice for the DNS because many programs rely on RFC
1123 naming rules (LDH only). So, Punycode was a reasonable
solution. But everybody would prefer to use an Unicode standard
encoding.

For email, it is better to use the standard encoding, UTF-8. What
would Punycode buy?
 
EAI uses Punycode in a few corner cases (such as the initial EHLO).