Subject: [eap] Creating a design team for EAP state machine

From: [email-masked] (Jari Arkko)
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 22:56:37 +0300

RFC 2284 does not include a state machine, and as a result, questions
have arisen about the behavior of the protocol, which are not addressed
in that document. Given the revision to the specification RFC 2284bis,
the desire is to develop a separate document describing in detail the
state machine behavior of EAP.

We have considered various ways to organize the production of the
state machine. A draft about the state machine exists, but some work
still remains on e.g. harmonizing the state machine with IEEE work.
We considered an interim meeting, but it proved to be hard to get
a sufficient number of people in the same place at the same time.

Bernard and I have decided that we would like to create a short-term
design team to work on the state machine. We are soliciting members
for the design team. If you are willing to help, let us know. We
are hoping the design team could be in place within a week or so,
and could include those who have worked on the current state machine
as well as folks who have knowledge of other aspects of the problem.
Note that as participation in IETF is open, folks working on
EAP-related issues in other standards bodies are also welcome.

The output of the design team is an IETF draft on the EAP state machine,
to be presented to the EAP WG at IETF 55. Desirable aspects of the state
machine include:

a. Rationalized with the IEEE 802.1aa D3 state machine, so that either
    the two state machines are compatible, or the differences are well
    understood and it can be explained why the IEEE 802.1aa D3 state
    machine needs to change.

b. Compatible with all aspects of RFC 2284bis, including:

     1. Optional Identity exchange. The state machine should not assume
        that an identity exchange will always occur, since RFC 2284bis
        does not make this assumption.

     2. Support for multiple authentication methods within a single session.

     3. Support silent discard of EAP Success prior to authentication
        completion.

     4. Compatibility with RFC 2869bis -- backend state machine determined
        solely by Accept/Reject AAA indication, not encapsulated EAP
        packet, if any.

     5. Compatibility with reauthentication and retransmission.

It is expected that the design team can solve the
above issues. If there are remaining problems by IETF 55, the
design team should describe them and the alternatives for
resolving them.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:33:34 -0700 (PDT)

> I have one question.  I remember that the URL for the 802.1aa D3 draft
> was posted on to this mailing list at the end of August with username
> and password.  Can I legitimately use that credentials to access the
> URL though I'm not a member of the IEEE 802.1 WG?  Or all the design
> team members are assumed to be a member of the IEEE 802.1 WG?
>
> Regards,
> Yoshihiro Ohba

The IETF is an open organization, and it is not required that working
group members attend meetings (either of the IETF or any other group) in
order to participate. Our specs are openly available, in order to
encourage the maximum amount of review.

Given this, the ideal solution is for all EAP WG members to be granted
access to the 802.1aa archive, so that they can have access to the 802.1aa drafts in
progress. This will allow the two groups to collaborate on the state
machine work in the most seamless way possible. Formal liason between the
can be handled by discussions between the EAP WG chairs and the
officers of 802.1.

I have brought this issue up with Tony Jefree of 802.1. I'd note that
collaboration between IEEE and IETF groups is not new, so these kind of
issues have been handled before in the Bridge WG, and IPORPR WG. Another
example is the collaboration between IEEE 802.11 and 802.1; between 802.11
and ETSI BRAN, etc.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bryan D. Payne)
Date: 06 Sep 2002 18:44:49 -0400

Please count me in on the design team.  My time is rather limited these
days, but I'd like to help out where I can.  Email is the best medium
for me right now...

-bryan

---

From: [email-masked] (Yoshihiro Ohba)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 16:54:59 -0400

Yes, I am interested in working on EAP state machine and I'm 
happy if I can contribute to it.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba