Subject: [eap] Issue 45: Addition of OTP and GTC methods

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Aboba)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:10:57 -0800 (PST)

Issue 45: Addition of OTP and GTC methods
Submitter: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: November 25, 2002
Reference:
Document: RFC2284bis-07
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section:  2
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Now that RFC 2284bis is merely recycling to Proposed Standard,
there is no reason to separate out the OTP and GTC methods.

Also, the OTP reference in RFC 2284 is now out of date.

Add the following sections:

One-Time Password (OTP)

Description

The One-Time Password system is defined in "A One-Time Password
System" [RFC2289] and "OTP Extended Responses" [RFC 2243].
The Request contains a displayable message
containing an OTP challenge.
A Response MUST be sent in reply to
the Request. The Response MUST be of Type 5 (OTP) or Type 3
(Nak). The Nak reply indicates the peer's desired authentication
mechanism Type(s).

Type

5

Type-Data

The Type-Data field contains the OTP "challenge" as a displayable
message in the Request. In the Response, this field is used for
the 6 words from the OTP dictionary [RFC2289]. The messages MUST not be
null terminated. The length of the field is derived from the
Length field of the Request/Reply packet.

Generic Token Card (GTC)

Description

The Generic Token Card Type is defined for use with various Token
Card implementations which require user input. The Request
contains a displayable message and the Reply contains the Token
Card information necessary for authentication. Typically, this
would be information read by a user from the Token card device and
entered as ASCII text.

Type

6

Type-Data

The Type-Data field in the Request contains a displayable message
greater than zero octets in length. The length of the message is
determined by Length field of the Request packet. The message
MUST not be null terminated. A Response MUST be sent in reply to
the Request with a Type field of 6 (Generic Token Card). The
Response contains data from the Token Card required for
authentication. The length is of the data is determined by the
Length field of the Response packet.