Subject: [eap] [Issue 294] Rewrite of Security Considerations Section

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:45:46 -0800 (PST)

Issue 294: Rewrite of the Security Considerations & Requirements Sections
Submitter name: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 3/31/05
Reference:
Document: KEY-05
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 6, 7
Rationale/Explanation of issue

The major rationale for creating the EAP Key Management Framework document
in the first place was to provide a security analysis of EAP usage in
existing applications.

However, while Section 6.1 defines terminology and Section 6.2 provides a
Threat Model based on the Housley Criteria, the document never actually
provides a security analysis of existing EAP Usage.

For example, does EAP when used with PPP & RADIUS satisfy the security
requirements?  How about when used with 802.11i, and Diameter EAP?  The
document does not provide any guidance.  It is no wonder that the reader
is left to wonder what the point of the document is.

Section 7 consists of requirements on EAP methods, AAA
protocols, Secure Association Protocols and Ciphersuites that is in no way
tied back to the security requirements and threat model.  One is left to
wonder whether these "requirements" were developed out of thin air, or
whether there is any basis/justification for them.

The recommended fix is to rewrite Section 6 to analyze the following EAP
usage scenarios according to the security requirements:

1. EAP over PPP [RFC3748]
   a. With RADIUS ([RFC3579] + [RFC2548])
   b. With Diameter-EAP & Redirect
2. EAP over 802.1X
   a. With RADIUS ([RFC3579] + [RFC2548])
   b. With Diameter-EAP & Redirect
3. EAP over 802.11i
   a. With RADIUS ([RFC3579] + [RFC2548])
   b. With Diameter-EAP & Redirect

Then, based on the outcome of this Section 6 analysis, we can decide which
of the "requirements" are actually required.
_______________________________________________
eap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/eap