Subject: [Ecrit] Reset button: ECRIT text

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:23:36 -0700

<http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/03/06/Clinton%20and%20Lavrov-thumb-320x374.jpg>

Proposal (latest from previous thread, due to Linsner):

This document describes an architecture for emergency calling contained
within the common Internet environment. In this environment, the 
originating host bears most of the burden of implementing emergency 
calls, and the caller's Access Network Provider may have a supporting 
role.  If such exists, the caller's Application Service Provider plays a 
minor role.  The underlying specifications do allow for the Application 
Service Provider to take a more expansive role in emergency calls. 
However, such cases and any associated issues that arise outside this 
environment are for further study.

If you have comments, please submit a revision to the above proposal.

--Richard

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:39:25 -0400

Is there an "uncommon" Internet environment?

This is so vague to make any amateur lawyer proud...

On Mar 25, 2009, at 8:23 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:

> <http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/03/06/Clinton%20and%20Lavrov-thumb-320x374.jpg 
> >
>
> calls, and the caller's Access Network Provider may have a  
> supporting role.  If such exists, the caller's Application Service  
> Provider plays a minor role.  The underlying specifications do allow  
> for the Application Service Provider to take a more expansive role  
> in emergency calls. However, such cases and any associated issues  
> that arise outside this environment are for further study.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ecrit mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ecrit
>

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:47:46 -0700

"Common" == "public" / "open" ?

(vs. "usual")

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
>> role.  If such exists, the caller's Application Service Provider plays 
>> a minor role.  The underlying specifications do allow for the 
>> Application Service Provider to take a more expansive role in 
>> emergency calls. However, such cases and any associated issues that 
>> arise outside this environment are for further study.
>>

---

From: "Hannes Tschofenig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:55:26 -0700

I don't agree that the area where the application service providers takes a
more expansive role in emergency calls is for further study. 

What do we actually mean by the most of the burden of implementing emergency
calls? 

Ciao
Hannes

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>On Behalf Of Richard Barnes
>Sent: 25 March, 2009 17:24
>To: ECRIT
>Subject: [Ecrit] Reset button: ECRIT text
>
>This document describes an architecture for emergency calling 
>contained within the common Internet environment. In this 
>environment, the originating host bears most of the burden of 
>implementing emergency calls, and the caller's Access Network 
>Provider may have a supporting role.  If such exists, the 
>caller's Application Service Provider plays a minor role.  The 
>underlying specifications do allow for the Application Service 
>Provider to take a more expansive role in emergency calls. 
>However, such cases and any associated issues that arise 
>outside this environment are for further study.
>

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:56:04 -0400

Would this, as noted, exclude enterprise or hotel WiFi environments,  
which are presumably neither public nor open? What makes a 3GPP  
Internet access environment, offered by a common carrier to the  
public, less open/public than the port-restricted NATed environment  
common in hotels?

Henning

---

From: "Thomson, Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:47:30 -0500

+1 : Richard, there's a rich future for you in drafting patents if you wanted a new career.

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Henning Schulzrinne
> Sent: Wednesday, 25 March 2009 5:39 PM
> To: Richard Barnes
> Cc: ECRIT
> Subject: Re: [Ecrit] Reset button: ECRIT text
> 
> > contained

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is for the designated recipient only and may
contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any unauthorized use of
this email is prohibited.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[mf2]

---

From: Marc Linsner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 22:02:34 -0700

> Is there an "uncommon" Internet environment?

Yes, one where the network attempts to be smarter than the host.

>From an application pov, the IETF Internet architecture encompasses smart
hosts and dumb networks in support of end to end communication.

The success of the Internet is directly due to this architecture.

-Marc-