Subject: [Ecrit] FW: PSAP Callback: Feedback needed

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:28:09 +0200

FYI: In response to the ECRIT virtual interim meeting I listened to the
audio recording and tried to make sense out of the discussion. I
compiled a few questions (see below) that I then distributed to the NENA
LTD, EENA NG112 technical committee and EENA operations committee, and
EMTEL mailing list. I hope to get some feedback from there.  

Ciao
Hannes

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo) 
>Subject: PSAP Callback: Feedback needed
>
>Hi all, 
>
>To progress the work on PSAP callback in the IETF ECRIT group 
>we are soliciting feedback from a number of groups.  
>
>A little bit of background first:  When you make an IP-based 
>emergency call to an IP-based PSAP then the PSAP will get two 
>pieces of identity information about the emergency caller: 
>
>  * Contact-URI: Information that uniquely identifies the 
>device the call came from. 
>  * Address of Record: Long-term contact information 
>
>Imagine that the communication between the PSAP and the 
>emergency caller gets interrupted prematurely and the PSAP 
>wants to call back to the emergency caller, for example to 
>obtain more information about the incident. 
>
>The idea of the ongoing PSAP callback work is to allow the 
>emergency call to override call forwarding procedures 
>configured by the emergency caller's phone, do not disturb 
>functionality, etc. so that the call indeed reaches the 
>emergency caller. This includes the ability to disable network 
>based services, such as network based call forwarding, in 
>addition to functionality configured at the phone itself.
>
>1st question: What functionality is available in today's CS networks? 
>
>2nd question: Is this useful functionality to have for 
>IP-based emergency services? 
>
>3rd question: Do you envision a time-restriction on this capability?
>Example: only within one hour callbacks from the PSAP are 
>treated differently to normal calls. 
>
>4th question: Would you expect the call to reach primarily the 
>device that initiated the emergency call? 
>   
>5th question: In some cases the device that was used to 
>originally initiate the call does not respond anymore to a 
>callback (e.g. imagine a fixed line phone that was used to 
>report a fire in a house and is out of order soon afterwards). 
>Since the initial emergency call provided a second contact 
>mechanism (namely the address of record) it could be used by 
>the call taker as well. Should this communication also 
>experience the same type of override privilege as the 
>initially transmitted callback to the emergency caller's device?  
>
>Thank you for your time. Your feedback is very valuable to us. 
>
>Ciao
>Hannes