Subject: How does EDIINT and OBI relate to each other

From: Stefan Santesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:24:12 +0200

I work in a government project where we right now are specifying the EDIINT
solution (AS1) for secure EDI related to the public sector in Sweden.

Along the way, more and more people spell the letters OBI.

I'm fully aware of the current technical differences between OBI and
EDIINT, but I would still need help to fully understand how these solutions
relate to each other.

Is OBI a threat to EDIINT, not because OBI solves all problems related to
EDI, but because the market may find that the limited set of options in OBI
are enough for most cases. May this oppose a threat to EDI as a widely
deployed solution?

Will OBI grow from simplicity to more and more cover the needs from
business to business EDI. Will this then be a threat to EDIINT based
solutions?

Are OBI a lot of loud talk, far from it's success (similar to SET), or is
OBI already a success?

Can someone comment on this?

/Stefan
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Stefan Santesson                <[email-masked]>
Accurata Systemsäkerhet AB      http://www.accurata.se
Slagthuset                      Tel. +46-40 108588              
211 20  Malmö                   Fax. +46-40 150790              
Sweden                        Mobile +46-70 5247799

PGP fingerprint: 89BC 6C79 5B3D 591B 8547  1512 7D11 DBF4 528F 29A0
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Egerter, Chuck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 23:43:36 -0400

OBI specifies more than the transaction format and transport mechanism.  It
spells out a specific business process for electronic catalog purchases over
the Internet.  In actuality, OBI might be able to make use of EDIINT.
However, I believe the "Futures" work group in OBI is looking longer term at
XML.  The OBI spec does call out an "OBI Order Request" and an "OBI Order"
which are both based on X12, but it is pretty specific to the OBI model. 

I don't see a whole lot of competition.  But, that's my opinion.  
OBI does get a lot of press.

Chuck
Chuck Egerter
Lockheed Martin - Corporate Central Procurement 
Project Manager, Electronic Commerce
(813) 854-7235
[email-masked]

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Stefan Santesson [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Monday, April 26, 1999 5:24 AM
	To:	[email-masked]
	Subject:	How does EDIINT and OBI relate to each other

	I work in a government project where we right now are specifying the
EDIINT
	solution (AS1) for secure EDI related to the public sector in
Sweden.

	I'm fully aware of the current technical differences between OBI and
	EDIINT, but I would still need help to fully understand how these
solutions
	relate to each other.

	Is OBI a threat to EDIINT, not because OBI solves all problems
related to
	EDI, but because the market may find that the limited set of options
in OBI
	are enough for most cases. May this oppose a threat to EDI as a
widely
	deployed solution?

	Are OBI a lot of loud talk, far from it's success (similar to SET),
or is
	OBI already a success?

	/Stefan