Subject: SMTP vs. HTTP

From: [email-masked] (Chris Davenport)
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:24:17 +0100 (BST)

I think the SMTP vs. HTTP debate has gone on long enough.  I can see
both sides of the argument and I think both sides are right.  Both
transports are required for EDIINT depending on the individual or
group requirements.

As far as my requirements go I am looking to replace expensive VAN
connections with lower-cost internet connections.  Most of the companies
I deal with do not have permanent internet connections as these would
not be cost justified.  An SMTP transport is just what we need.  I can
see that larger companies and government organisations would need an
HTTP transport to satisfy their requirements and that's fine with me.
I think that the vast majority of SME's, the ones that are not currently
doing EDI, would prefer not to have a permanent internet connection
as a requirement for doing EDIINT.

Ideally EDIINT software should support both transports.  It would be nice
to keep AS#1 and AS#2 as closely aligned as possible so as to minimise
software development costs.  I'm happy to try to align with other
standards such as GISB too if that's technically possible.  But as
someone (I think it was Gunther) said recently, the delay in getting
to RFC status is risky.  Let's at least put AS#1 to bed and move on
as quickly as possible.

Regards,

Chris.

-- 
Chris Davenport              [email-masked]

---

From: "Siri Moe Jensen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:38:10 +0200