Subject: Protocol Action: 'MIME-based Secure Peer-to-Peer Business Data Interchange Using HTTP, Applicability Statement 2 (AS2)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:19:10 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'MIME-based Secure Peer-to-Peer Business Data Interchange Using HTTP, 
   Applicability Statement 2 (AS2) '
   <draft-ietf-ediint-as2-20.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Electronic Data Interchange-Internet 
Integration Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Scott Hollenbeck and Ted Hardie.

Technical Summary
This document describes how to exchange structured business data
securely using HTTP transfer for XML, Binary, Electronic Data
Interchange, (EDI - either the American Standards Committee X12 or
UN/EDIFACT,  Electronic Data Interchange for Administration, Commerce
and Transport) or other data describable in MIME used for business to
business data interchange. The data is packaged using standard MIME
content-types. Authentication and privacy are obtained by using
Cryptographic Message Syntax (S/MIME) security body parts.
Authenticated acknowledgements make use of multipart/signed replies
to the original HTTP message.

Working Group Summary
There is solid consensus demonstrated by 30+ implementations in
a diverse range of software products.

Protocol Quality
Scott Hollenbeck has reviewed this speciication for the IESG.
There are 30+ software companies who have implemented this document.
Companies from India, Europe, USA, Canada and Japan have implemented to name
a few. There are tens of thousands of production implementations carrying
ebusiness information between companies especially in the retail and
consumer packaged goods environments. Wal*Mart, Target, and many others
across the world have chosen it as their preferred internet based ebusiness
standard for supply chain related information movement.

RFC Editor Note
 
Please change "IPSEC" to "IPsec" in Section 9.