Subject: SHA-256 Vs SHA-1 & AES Vs DES

From: "Shan Harter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:37:34 -0700

Hello,

I originally sent this direct to Dale but perhaps the best method is to
submit to the group so I will resubmit here.
 
In evaluation of the long term aspects and potential future
vulnerabilities to existing hash and symmetric key algorithms, are there
"phase-out" plans on the
horizon to replace SHA-1 and DES as it relates to ebXML or AS2 - AS3? 
 
Is consideration being applied to SHA-256 or SHA-512?
 
See
 
http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2005/0207/web-hash-02-07-05.asp

Also is AES being considered to replace DES?
 
Regards,
 
Shan

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This message and any of the attached documents contain privileged and 
confidential information only for the use of the individual or entity 
that was the intended recipient.  If you are not the  intended recipient 
you may not read, copy, distribute, retain or use this information. If 
you have received this message and any of the attached documents in 
error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and then 
delete this message.  Thank you.

---

From: Jess Sightler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:17:18 -0500

This question is especially interesting in light of this:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/sha1_broken.html