Subject: RE: Timeout on asynchronous MDNs

From: "Dale Moberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:57:17 -0700

Since the AS2 internet draft (recently approved) does not require any
synchronization between processes before sending the MDN on a new TCP
connection, an application really must be prepared for receiving it at
any time after it has started sending. In particular, applications
cannot count on the original connection being seen as closed by both
sides before the MDN is sent. Someone from the testing side should say
whether there is something that they test in this regard, but from the
I-D itself, no mandatory synchronization (by some distributed mutex or
critical region guard) is present and so none should be expected before
sending/receiving the MDN.

Dale Moberg

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joachim Just
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 8:31 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Timeout on asynchronous MDNs

Hi everybody,

I've got a question concerning the delay after which an asynchronous MDN

can be sent back. The draft paper does not say anything about this. To 
my understanding it only says it will be send in a separate TCP/IP 
session to the address and with the transport protocol specified in the 
"Receipt-Delivery-Option"  field.

When  conformance and interoperability tests are being done in the 
certification process are there any limits imposed when the requested 
asynchronous MDN can arrive?

I'll appreciate very much your comments.

Joachim Just

---

From: "Kyle Meadors" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:29:09 -0600

With the Drummond Group certificate tests, we require the MDN to be returned
within 3 hours. This was a rather arbitrary setting but given so everyone
would be on the same page (some had default settings of just a few minutes).
However, we would not fail someone if their MDN returned after this mark
since the standard is silent on any requirement. The 3 hour limit is rarely
pushed, except for some messages which have large (50MB) payloads.

Kyle Meadors
DGI

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Dale Moberg
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 10:57 AM
To: Joachim Just; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Timeout on asynchronous MDNs

Dale Moberg

-----Original Message-----

Hi everybody,

Joachim Just

-- 
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.4 - Release Date: 2/1/2005

-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.4 - Release Date: 2/1/2005