Subject: [edu-discuss] getting newcomers onboard

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:09:08 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

As WG chair, I get mail from new folks wanting to contribute now and 
then.  This is one example.  I try to help them along, to get new WG 
participants "educated", but maybe this is a wider problem that needs 
to be addressed -- maybe in the context of EDU team?

The two issues I've seen the most are:

 1) totally new people (new to the IETF) want to participate.  Other 
than pointing them to the newcomer's training slides, there isn't much 
coordinated effort going on on what they should be doing?

[I've personally encouraged them to read drafts, and send their 
thoughts to the list or authors/chairs directly if they feel 
unconfortable with the list at first, but perhaps there should be more 
than just that...]

 2) "unleashed potential" -- this has been a happy surprise.  There
seem to be lot of people who have never even written on the mailing
list (or only done very little) who are willing to do some work --
just if we figure out what that could be.  There are also very
technically capable people there. One thing I've had positive success
in particular has been "English proofreading".  I think we (especially
WG chairs but others as well)  should try to figure out how to be able
to leverage that potential.

(forwarded with permission.)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
[snip]

I would like to help and contribute to v6 related workgroups in the 
ietf. I am relatively new to ipv6 and have gone through the basic IPv6 
RFCs and drafts. I am currently reading into various documents that 
discuss v6 issues (like SEND and basic transition mechanisms of ipv6, 
which actually might be pretty archaic for the regulars in this WG). As 
much as i want to contribute, i am clueless as to how to do it. A bit of 
suggestions and what is expected out of newbies to this group so that 
even they could effectively contribute should help me a lot.

I am not sure if i have broken any protocol by mailing all of you 
directly, if so, blame it on my lack of experience :-).

Thanks,
[signed]

_______________________________________________
edu-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-discuss