Subject: [edu-team] volunteer for Korean Language newcomer's session

From: avri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:05:00 +0900

Hi,

I have a volunteer, Changhoon Kim.  Though currently of ETRI he will 
probably be at another Korean company by the time of the next IETF 
(confidential at this point).  Attending the next 2 IETF's  is not 
expected to be a problem.

He has attended several IETFs and did attend the old newcomer's course 
at his first meeting.  (So he knows about standing back from the cookie 
table :-) )  Has read the Tao but did not attend Scott's rendition of 
Newcomers.  He is one of the best Korean english speakers I know here.  
Also pretty good at rebuilding bicycles and leading hikes up mountains. 
  I have gotten to know him pretty well over the last few months and 
both like and respect him.  Definitely takes responsibilities seriously.

He likes the idea of having a chance to give the presentation in 
Minneapolis before giving it in Seoul in front of a large hometown 
crowd.  In terms of scheduling, he requests that we schedule it after 
Scott's in Minneapolis so that he gets a chance to hear Scott's and 
pick up any anecdotes or whatever.    He also asked if anyone knew of 
any recording of Scott's presentation.  If so, he would like to get 
ahold of it.

The next step, as far as I can tell, if for the deciders to decide 
whether this can happen in Minneapolis and Seoul.  Once we hear that is 
has been decided, and I have gotten ahold of Scott's presentation, 
Chang and I are going to meet to go over content.  If this is going to 
happen I suggest we move like real soon so the possible audience can be 
informed before it is time to buy air tickets.  I also told him that I 
was willing to attend the Korean version should any questions come up 
that he could not answer (I am experienced at sitting in a room full of 
people speaking languages i don't understand - actually I find 
listening to a non English presentation given to English slides a good 
learning tool).  We would probably also do a dry run of the 
presentation at ETRI sometime in late September, early October.

a.

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: avri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:22:32 +0900

Yeah, it is just that I was still pushing for us to decide to hold the 
Korean session in Minneapolis as well.  My message was to indicate that 
I was no longer doing so, though I still think it is a good idea and if 
I thought I was going to be successful at convincing people on this 
team I might have tried to convince Chang to change his plans.

a.

On tisdag, aug 26, 2003, at 17:53 Asia/Seoul, James Seng wrote:

> I thought the korean session is only meant to be for ietf seoul and 
> not minneapolis? so in either case, i still think it is useful to have 
> a newcomer session in korean in ietf seoul.
>
> james
>
> avri wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> The issue of a Korean Language session in Minneapolis may be becoming 
>> moot.  Chang got in touch with me and asked whether it had been 
>> decided for Minneapolis, since he had a possible conflict.  He was 
>> willing to try to give this priority, but since I could not tell him 
>> that it was approved - only that I was still pushing for it, I told 
>> him that he did not need to keep the date open.  He is still, 
>> however, committed for the Seoul event, if that gets approved.
>> I don't know if anyone other then me was still worrying on this, but 
>> I figured I would let them know so that they no longer needed to 
>> worry.
>> a.