Subject: [edu-team] volunteer for Korean Language newcomer's session

From: avri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:01:54 +0900

Hi,

I have a volunteer, Changhoon Kim.  Though currently of ETRI he will 
probably be at another Korean company by the time of the next IETF 
(confidential at this point).  Attending the next 2 IETF's  is not 
expected to be a problem.

He has attended several IETFs and did attend the old newcomer's course 
at his first meeting.  (So he knows about standing back from the cookie 
table :-) )  Has read the Tao but did not attend Scott's rendition of 
Newcomers.  He is one of the best Korean english speakers I know here.  
Also pretty good at rebuilding bicycles and leading hikes up mountains. 
  I have gotten to know him pretty well over the last few months and 
both like and respect him.  Definitely takes responsibilities seriously.

He likes the idea of having a chance to give the presentation in 
Minneapolis before giving it in Seoul in front of a large hometown 
crowd.  In terms of scheduling, he requests that we schedule it after 
Scott's in Minneapolis so that he gets a chance to hear Scott's and 
pick up any anecdotes or whatever.    He also asked if anyone knew of 
any recording of Scott's presentation.  If so, he would like to get 
ahold of it.

The next step, as far as I can tell, if for the deciders to decide 
whether this can happen in Minneapolis and Seoul.  Once we hear that is 
has been decided, and I have gotten ahold of Scott's presentation, 
Chang and I are going to meet to go over content.  If this is going to 
happen I suggest we move like real soon so the possible audience can be 
informed before it is time to buy air tickets.  I also told him that I 
was willing to attend the Korean version should any questions come up 
that he could not answer (I am experienced at sitting in a room full of 
people speaking languages i don't understand - actually I find 
listening to a non English presentation given to English slides a good 
learning tool).  We would probably also do a dry run of the 
presentation at ETRI sometime in late September, early October.

a.

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:05:19 -0700

--On 14. august 2003 17:01 +0900 avri <[email-masked]> wrote:

> whether this can happen in Minneapolis and Seoul.

Does the edu-team think this should be done?
If so, I'm happy to ask Marcia to find a way to make room for it; I 
mentioned the possibility to her on the phone today, and she didn't seem to 
think it would be a big problem.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:02:02 -0400

Hi Harald,

My understanding is that we decided to hold a Korean language
course in Seoul, but not in Minneapolis.

There are some other changes that we want to make to the
schedule.  Would it be best if you communicate with Marcia
about these changes?  If so, I'll assign those action items
to you (they are currently assigned to me).

Margaret

At 03:05 PM 8/14/2003 -0700, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>mentioned the possibility to her on the phone today, and she didn't seem 
>to think it would be a big problem.
>
>

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:18:20 -0700

*blush*
thanks for pointing out the obvious - that when you have an action item to 
talk to her about scheduling, you are the obvious one to ask about this one 
too. I'd forgotten, which is not good.
Will you get this done before you're on vacation? She's likely to be in the 
office on Friday (she's been back from holiday for a week, but has been on 
a site visit in MPLS).

I thought the discussion on the edu-team call about having a 
korean-language training session in Minneapolis concluded not to because it 
was too much trouble getting a speaker + general hassle, but Avri's just 
negated the "getting a speaker" part. But it's the edu-team that should be 
the "decider" on whether to try for it, I think, not me....

             Harald

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:34:18 -0400

Hi Harald,

At 12:18 AM 8/15/2003 -0700, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>talk to her about scheduling, you are the obvious one to ask about this 
>one too. I'd forgotten, which is not good.

No worries.

>Will you get this done before you're on vacation? She's likely to be in 
>the office on Friday (she's been back from holiday for a week, but has 
>been on a site visit in MPLS).

I'll try to do it today.  If not, I'll follow up while I'm
on vacation...  We're just going to our summer house, so
I'll be quite reachable.

>korean-language training session in Minneapolis concluded not to because 
>it was too much trouble getting a speaker + general hassle, but Avri's 
>just negated the "getting a speaker" part. But it's the edu-team that 
>should be the "decider" on whether to try for it, I think, not me....

I think that there may be a difference of opinion about what
we are trying to do...

I think that it makes sense to offer native-language training
when we hold IETF's in non-US counties (Korean language in
Korea, Spanish in Spain, Canadian in Canada, eh?  :-)).

Ultimately, it might make sense (I'm not really sure) to run
multiple language tracks at U.S. IETFs, but Korean would not
necessarily be the first language on my list... We could
easily find someone who would do a class in Japanese, for
instance.

Margaret

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:02:49 -0700

> easily find someone who would do a class in Japanese, for

in this particular case, it would definitely be "because we're in Seoul 
next time" - both to dry-run the presentation before Seoul and for the 
influx of new Korean people; there was a definite high influx of Japanese 
before Yokohama (169 in Minneapolis compared to only 88 in Salt Lake City).

I don't think it should be something we'd adopt in general.

---

From: avri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 08:01:38 +0900

Hi,

The issue of a Korean Language session in Minneapolis may be becoming 
moot.  Chang got in touch with me and asked whether it had been decided 
for Minneapolis, since he had a possible conflict.  He was willing to 
try to give this priority, but since I could not tell him that it was 
approved - only that I was still pushing for it, I told him that he did 
not need to keep the date open.  He is still, however, committed for 
the Seoul event, if that gets approved.

I don't know if anyone other then me was still worrying on this, but I 
figured I would let them know so that they no longer needed to worry.

a.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:38:59 -0400

Hi Avri,

I've asked for space for a Korean language session in Minneapolis.

We could do it in the same room as the current newcomers session,
for the hour between that session and the social.

There may be some difficulties, though, with getting the other
rooms that we need for editors training and WG chairs training.
So, I would like to make sure that we have the full schedule
set-up before we definitely confirm anything.

However, it does look good to have a room from 4pm-5pm on Sunday
for a Korean language trial session, and I should know for sure
by mid-September.

I'm on vacation now, but I'll get to this when I get back
next week.

Margaret

At 08:01 AM 8/24/2003 +0900, avri wrote:

>for Minneapolis, since he had a possible conflict.  He was willing to try 
>to give this priority, but since I could not tell him that it was approved 
>- only that I was still pushing for it, I told him that he did not need to 
>keep the date open.  He is still, however, committed for the Seoul event, 
>if that gets approved.
>