Subject: [edu-team] Ongoing WG Chairs Training for Paris

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:15:01 -0400

Hi All,

So, Paris is looming and I was wondering...

Do folks have any thoughts on potential topics for Ongoing WG Chairs 
Training in Paris?  When last we met, the WG Chairs had expressed an 
interest in "tools".  Should we talk to Henrik and see what 
new/underused tools it might be good to present?  Anything else that 
jumps to mind?

Margaret

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:18:33 +0200

We should get someone from the secretariat team to talk about
the Proceedings upload tool which is being beta-tested by a
few WGs; by Vancouver it should be the standard way to submit
slides and minutes.

Ditto for the liaison handling tool; this won't be of interest
to *every* WG but it's also in beta now. A little education
on RFC 4052/4053 wouldn't go amiss.

Henrik's stuff too, if he's ready for 200 users.

We also talked about possible education in writing good minutes
and agendas. But we may not be ready for that?

Should somebody talk about "what makes the IESG slap a DISCUSS
on your drafts and how to avoid it"?

    Brian

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 08:35:32 -0500

> and agendas. But we may not be ready for that?

There is a joke in Texas about the young agricultural agent straight 
out of college who goes to visit the old farmer and walks around the 
farm pointing out all the opportunities for improvements until the old 
farmer can't stand it any more, and yells, "heck, son, I don't farm 
half as good as I know how NOW!"

I think we don't take minutes half as well as we know how now. Would 
it make sense to ask working group chairs if THEY would like to 
contribute to this education?

> on your drafts and how to avoid it"?

If this doesn't get you two hundred attendees for a free lunch, 
nothing ever will...

Spencer

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:28:11 -0700

> on your drafts and how to avoid it"?

I think this would be very valuable.

            jak

---

From: avri doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:38:18 +0200

i agree.  this would be a good topic for the part of the luncheon, 
better then the minutes topics.  this plus the perennial tools topic.

a.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:14:12 +0200

OK. Two candidates then - me, or Jon Petersen who owns
draft-iesg-discuss-criteria-00.txt. Pick one!

     Brian

---

From: avri doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:30:32 +0200

I am fine with either.  But having never heard from Jon, would sort of 
be interested in his presentation.  Is he an interesting presenter?

a.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:01:19 -0700

At 3:30 PM +0200 7/11/05, avri doria wrote:
>I am fine with either.  But having never heard from Jon, would sort 
>of be interested in his presentation.  Is he an interesting 
>presenter?

Yes. If Jon is up for it, it gives Brian one less speaking duty 
during the week.

This is good timing for the document to be discussed.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:08:19 +0200

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Yes. If Jon is up for it, it gives Brian one less speaking duty during 
> the week.
> 

Good, so will whoever organizes that session ask him?

    Brian

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:01:10 -0400

Hi Avri,

Am I organizing this again, or someone else?  I'm happy to do it, I 
just don't want to duplicate effort.

Margaret

At 9:08 PM +0200 7/11/05, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>>  I am fine with either.  But having never heard from Jon, would 
>>>sort of be interested in his presentation.  Is he an interesting 
>>>presenter?
>>

---

From: avri doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:03:46 -0400

Hi,

I am happy for you to do it.  and in fact was planning on it.

thanks for doing it.

a.

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:44:55 -0500

One last possible topic - maybe one slide on Gen-ART? I had a 
conversation with a very experienced WG chair yesterday who isn't 
quite clear on what Gen-ART is, and most Gen-ART reviews now copy WG 
chairs and editors, so Gen-ART will probably surprise all of them, 
sooner or later.

Spencer

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Brian E Carpenter" <[email-masked]>
To: "Margaret Wasserman" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 7:18 AM
Subject: Re: [edu-team] Ongoing WG Chairs Training for Paris

>> Do folks have any thoughts on potential topics for Ongoing WG 
>> Chairs Training in Paris?  When last we met, the WG Chairs had 
>> expressed an interest in "tools".  Should we talk to Henrik and see 
>> what new/underused tools it might be good to present?  Anything 
>> else that jumps to mind?
>>
>> Margaret
>>
>>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:58:41 +0200

I don't know if it needs a slide, but assuming I am there for the
excellent free lunch, I'll be glad to say a few words about Gen-ART.

     Brian

Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> conversation with a very experienced WG chair yesterday who isn't quite 
> clear on what Gen-ART is, and most Gen-ART reviews now copy WG chairs 
> and editors, so Gen-ART will probably surprise all of them, sooner or 
> later.
> 
> Spencer
> 
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian E Carpenter" <[email-masked]>

---

From: avri doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:37:06 -0400

plus there is a draft discussing it now.

a.

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:52:47 -0500

Margaret also sent me a lovely private e-mail on this topic - given 
the excellent choices to date on the current agenda, I would suggest 
that Brian simply mention the topic, point to the draft, and move on 
to the DISCUSS session, and that we seriously consider Gen-ART as one 
of the choices for Vancouver.

Thanks,

Spencer

>>> quite clear on what Gen-ART is, and most Gen-ART reviews now copy 
>>> WG chairs and editors, so Gen-ART will probably surprise all of 
>>> them, sooner or later.
>>> Spencer
>>>>> expressed an interest in "tools".  Should we talk to Henrik and 
>>>>> see what new/underused tools it might be good to present? 
>>>>> Anything else that jumps to mind?
>>>>>
>>>>> Margaret
>>>>>
>>>>>