Subject: [edu-team] Question about the training slides

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:17:56 +0200

In some other conversation, Spencer wrote

> I don't know how many of you guys have seen recent Intro to
 > Working Group training, but as recently as IETF 61, it still
 > quoted Jeff Schiller - "the ADs have relatively little power,
 > other than the power to delay and to destroy".

Is that still there? I don't like it at all, for a number of reasons
(such as that it isn't true, and it isn't a message we should pass).

    Brian

_______________________________________________
edu-team mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 07:30:49 -0400

Hi,

I saw the presentation in Paris.  While I thought some of the  
presentation was a bit dated (did not think so when reviewing the  
slides only when watching the presentation) i did not notice this  
statement.  I would have to go through the slides again to be 100%  
sure, but I don't think that statement is in there - it certainly  
seems like something that would have jumped  out at me.

a.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:39:11 -0400

I removed that quote from the slides when I started doing Intro WG 
chairs training ~2001.  I'd hate to think that it had slunk back in...

Margaret

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 07:50:48 -0500

> (such as that it isn't true, and it isn't a message we should pass).

I'm not sure where "there" is - Paul and I combined the WG chair intro 
and editor training the last time we did WG chair intro, and we didn't 
do the WG chair intro at all in Paris. Probably a good opportunity to do 
a new canonical set of slides for Vancouver.

Re: "slunk back in" - when I became a WG chair, I was PAINFULLY shy, so 
one of my ongoing therapies was to sit through the WG chair training 
every IETF, usually pick up some useful information, and meet as many 
new WG chairs as I could (make myself walk up to).

The good(?) news is, the therapy worked; the other news is that, of 
course, I saw Coya and Schiller do the training about eight or ten 
times, pre-Margaret :-) didn't have to be on the slides; I knew when 
Schiller said it, so I said it when I did the training.

Spencer

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:16:36 -0700

Although I agree that it isn't something we want to officially say, I 
think it's
clear that it's just good natured humor when it's said verbally, so I 
don't think
Spencer should feel bad about having said it. Attendees know that the 
speaker
is trying their best to keep it entertaining as well as giving 
information, so they
wouldn't take a statement like that seriously. Not that I'm encouraging 
continuing
to say it...just that I'm sure there was no harm done.

Radia

Spencer Dawkins wrote:

> do the WG chair intro at all in Paris. Probably a good opportunity to 
> do a new canonical set of slides for Vancouver.
>
> Re: "slunk back in" - when I became a WG chair, I was PAINFULLY shy, 
> so one of my ongoing therapies was to sit through the WG chair 
> training every IETF, usually pick up some useful information, and meet 
> as many new WG chairs as I could (make myself walk up to).
>