Subject: [edu-team] Tutorials for IETF 76 in Hiroshima

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 18:45:11 +0200

Hi all,

Marcia asked to identify the tutorials for IETF 76 so they can be
included on the registration page as soon as possible.

So, what do we have:

- Newcomers Tutorial (Scott Bradner - TBC)
  - I'll ask Scott if he will be in Hiroshima'
    otherwise we need to find another speaker (Margaret?)

- Newcomers Tutorial in Japanese (speaker TBA)
  - do you have a suggestion for a speaker?

- DNS for Programmers (Peter Koch/Olafur Gudmundsson)
  - Peter and Olafur offered to give the DNS tutorial
    in Hiroshima. I believe we agreed earlier that we would
    repeat this tutorial next time we're in Asia.

- Possibly: MIB tutorial (David Harrington/Bert Wijnen)
  I contacted David, Bert and Dan. Bert and David will 
  likely be in Hiroshima and said they would consider to
  present again. However, David said he felt the material 
  needs updating. Bert offered to help but wondered if it
  makes sense to give this tutorial again or if we should 
  at least consider to have a native speaker there.
  What do you all think? And did any of you attend the tutorial?
  I didn't :-/

- Possibly: xml2rfc (Alice Hagens/???)
  We could do this one again (we had a gap before IETF 75).
  Julian said he won't be in Hiroshima. Alice, what do you 
  think? Will you be there and would you want to do this 
  again? What do others think?

Any other suggestions? Any feedback would be welcome!

Kind Regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:53:18 -0400

Hi Mirjam,

>  - do you have a suggestion for a speaker?

What about Jun Murai?  Hey, we have Scott Bradner, why shouldn't we be  
able to get Jun Murai?!
>  What do you all think? And did any of you attend the tutorial?

I don't think we should get into the business of giving the technical  
tutorials in the native language...  Too complex, and one of the  
benefits of the tutorials is they are given by the people who actually  
wrote the specs (in English), etc.
>  again? What do others think?

This would be fine, if Alice is available.

Alternatively (or perhaps additionally), we could have Radia do the  
security tutorial again if she will be in Hiroshima.  I think it has  
been a while.

Margaret

---

From: Alice Hagens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:56:32 -0400

Mirjam,

We'd like to put the RFC Editor Tutorial (Bob Braden) on the list for  
IETF 76.

>   again? What do others think?

Not sure that intro to xml2rfc is necessary since it was just done at  
IETF 75. Btw, the slides are here:
  http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-editor/intro_xml2rfc_75.pdf
  http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/ietf-75-rfc2629-xslt.pdf

Thanks,

Alice
for the RFC Editor

On Aug 20, 2009, at 12:45 PM, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott O. Bradner)
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:02:11 -0400 (EDT)

>     otherwise we need to find another speaker (Margaret?)

at this point I do not plan to be in Hiroshima - my mother in
law is getting frail and I can not be that far away from my
wife if anything were to happen

Scott

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:05:09 -0400

Hi Scott,

> wife if anything were to happen

That is quite understandable.  We will miss you in Hiroshima, and I  
hope we'll get to see you again in Anaheim.

Margaret

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:09:55 -0400

>    otherwise we need to find another speaker (Margaret?)

 From other mail, it looks like Scott will not be able to join us in  
Hiroshima due to family issues.

I haven't confirmed that I can attend, yet.  I would be willing to do  
this if I am there, but I'm not sure when I will know for certain.

Maybe Brian Carpenter could do it?  Brian, will you be in Hiroshima?

Margaret

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:35:53 -0700

I'm not planning to go to Hiroshima...

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:34:47 -0700

I think all are good suggestions. I wonder what about MIBs have changed such
that the tutorial needs updating? I never saw it...so do you think he 
meant that
it was prepared hurriedly the first time, and ought to be revised, or is 
there
some of the material out of date?

Radia

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:44:57 -0400

On Aug 20, 2009, at 2:34 PM, Radia Perlman wrote:

> that the tutorial needs updating?

Good question.  I don't think of MIBs as a fast-moving target...  :-)

> I never saw it...

I didn't see it either.  I wasn't in Sweden until late Sunday evening.

Given recent technical discussions, I'm thinking that it may be time  
to dust off a presentation that I gave in the intarea a few years ago  
on how IPv6 differs from IPv4, which special emphasis on what people  
need to know who are writing IETF specs to work with both.  Do folks  
think this would be a good topic for a Sunday tutorial (perhaps in  
Hiroshima if I'm going to be there), or that it would be a better  
topic or a WG chairs' lunch?

Margaret

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:18:12 -0700

That sounds like it would be interesting. Would you aim it at people 
familiar with IPv4 but not 6, or
people that are a bit hazy on both? I assume you'd talk about other 
protocols, drivers, ways of
managing the network, etc., that might have to be different? How about 
migration/interoperation between
the two?

Radia

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:29:07 +1200

> What about Jun Murai?  Hey, we have Scott Bradner, why shouldn't we be

It might be more practical to ask Hiroshi Esaki, and of course ask him in
a way that he will suggest someone else if he doesn't want to do it.

> Maybe Brian Carpenter could do it?  Brian, will you be in Hiroshima?

Question 2: Yes, I'm funded and I already made an airline reservation.

Question 1: Willing, iff there are reasonably up to date slides already.

On 2009-08-21 06:44, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
...
> Given recent technical discussions, I'm thinking that it may be time to
> dust off a presentation that I gave in the intarea a few years ago on
> how IPv6 differs from IPv4, which special emphasis on what people need
> to know who are writing IETF specs to work with both.  Do folks think
> this would be a good topic for a Sunday tutorial (perhaps in Hiroshima
> if I'm going to be there), or that it would be a better topic or a WG
> chairs' lunch?

Oh, I wish we could plan a tutorial on how legacy IPv4 differs from IPv6.
In other words, get people into a mode of designing for IPv6 first with
IPv4 as the afterthought. I do agree that this topic would be a good one.

Maybe WG Chairs lunch is the target for this, because we surely need
the WG Chairs to lead the charge here. If we went that way, and if
Margaret isn't coming, I might be talked into this one too. Anything
for a free lunch.

    Brian

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:47:48 +0200

Radia,

> some of the material out of date?

Here is what David said:

"As I did the presentation this time, I felt that some of the info
really wasn't needed by MIB document authors, so if I do it again, I
think the presentation should be changed, and that will take extra
prep."

Mirjam

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 09:00:53 +0200

Hi Brian,

> a way that he will suggest someone else if he doesn't want to do it.

I don't know him. Would you like to contact him or introduce him to 
Margaret and me and we can take it from there?

> Question 1: Willing, iff there are reasonably up to date slides already.

Great! Thanks. I believe Scott keeps the slides up to date nicely.
The last version is here if you want to take a look:

http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/edu/wiki/IETF74

I don't have the slides for IEF 75 (can someone please send them to me). 

> Margaret isn't coming, I might be talked into this one too. Anything

Great, thanks for offering.

I think that is a good idea. We could do this as a WG lunch topic first
and then consider to give it as a tutorial at a future IETF meeting.

Mirjam

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:17:43 -0400

Hi Brian,

On Aug 20, 2009, at 11:29 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Question 1: Willing, iff there are reasonably up to date slides  
> already.]

Thanks, Brian!

Scott has developed an excellent slide set.  You can find the version  
from
IETF 74 here (although you may want to get the .ppt from Scott):

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/74/slides/newcomer-0.pdf

I don't think I have the version from IETF 75, and I am not sure if  
they were changed.

> Margaret isn't coming, I might be talked into this one too. Anything

Let's plan on this topic for the WG chairs lunch, then.  I'll dig out  
my old slides, and between the two of us, we'll put something together  
for Hiroshima.  If it goes well, we can consider a Sunday tutorial at  
the following meeting, or something.

Margaret