Subject: [edu-team] Two ideas for another technical tutorial

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:39:13 +0100

I just attended a 3 hour talk/tutorial on multipath TCP.  I was thinking it
would be dull...just bits and bytes...but it was actually wonderful.  It
talked about the problem (e.g., using wifi and 3G, or wanting to exploit
multiple paths inside one network), what the straightforward approach would
have been, and all the evil kinds of middleboxes that exist on the Internet
and the kinds of behavior they do that made designing multipath TCP
challenging.

Anyway, the particular speaker (Olivier Bonaventure) probably wouldn't go
to IETF just to present it, but I assume there are lots of people at IETF
who could give something like that...basically "what are all the weird
middleboxes, what kinds of things are they doing (e.g., changing basically
every field in IP and TCP), and how this sort of behavior can affect other
protocols, with a case in point being multipath TCP.  In other words, not
just focusing on the design of multipath TCP, but explaining the
expectations of regular TCP, etc.

Would people think this is interesting, and if so, can you think of people
that could do a good job presenting it?  I could ask Olivier for a
recommendation of someone that regularly attends IETF and knows the
material.

The second idea is an "overview of all the IETF working groups", where each
area gets 15 minutes for a reasonably jargon-free explanation of what all
the WGs in the area are up to.  I'd imagine possible n speakers, (if there
are n areas).  Comments?  Note that the open area meetings usually don't do
this, although I wish they would.

Radia

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 12:27:28 -0500

On Nov 28, 2012, at 10:39 AM, Radia Perlman wrote:
>  
> The second idea is an "overview of all the IETF working groups", where each area gets 15 minutes for a reasonably jargon-free explanation of what all the WGs in the area are up to.  I'd imagine possible n speakers, (if there are n areas).  Comments?  Note that the open area meetings usually don't do this, although I wish they would.

Could the edu team work with the area directors to arrange brief presentations like this at the area meetings?  It seems like that might be more useful than running a session on Sunday, when only a fraction of regular IETF attendees are there yet.

Margaret

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 18:56:31 +0100

Yeah, I think having such a thing at the beginning of the open area meeting
would be a good thing.  Perhaps I'll ask the IESG whether they think it
would be a good thing.

Anyone else have any comments first?

Radia

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Margaret Wasserman
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> > The second idea is an "overview of all the IETF working groups", where
> each area gets 15 minutes for a reasonably jargon-free explanation of what
> all the WGs in the area are up to.  I'd imagine possible n speakers, (if
> there are n areas).  Comments?  Note that the open area meetings usually
> don't do this, although I wish they would.
>
> Could the edu team work with the area directors to arrange brief
> presentations like this at the area meetings?  It seems like that might be
> more useful than running a session on Sunday, when only a fraction of
> regular IETF attendees are there yet.
>
> Margaret
>
>
>

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:57:55 +0000

I think some areas do this, at least to some extent, but YMMV.
It's certainly a good idea.

I quite like the idea of a joint session on Sunday, *after*
the newbie tutorial, since it would be ideal for newcomers.
However, ADs are only human, and I suspect that getting all
areas well prepared for such a session would be very tricky.

On Radia's other suggestion, something on TCP, buffer bloat,
MPTCP, etc. would be excellent for cross-area education IMHO.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

On 28/11/2012 17:56, Radia Perlman wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team