Subject: [edu-team] Suggestion to manage tutorial pages on datatracker?

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 11:20:04 +0200

Hi,

Alexa Morris suggested to manage the tutorial descriptions and 
recordings via the datatracker. This would make it easier for people who 
are used to the datatracker to find the information. It would also make 
it easier for the secretariat. See below what she is suggesting:

-----
What if we managed tutorial descriptions via the Datatracker? As I see 
it, this would have several benefits. Right now we have tutorial slides, 
descriptions and video all housed in its own area of the website: 
http://www.ietf.org/edu/tutorials.html. But there is no reason that the 
tutorial page couldn't look a bit more like: 
http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/, with tutorial categories (e.g. Process 
Oriented Tutorials) replacing areas (e.g. Applications). Clearly the 
structure would be different, simpler, but hopefully you see where I'm 
going.

Right now we also have to upload the tutorial slides twice -- once on 
main tutorial page, and then again via the Meeting Materials Mgr -- 
because people are unsure of where to find them. That is not efficient, 
and it also means the information is not well-organized on our website. 
I think that managing tutorial content in the same manner that we manage 
working group and other IETF work content probably makes more sense.
-----

Henrik thought this would be a good idea even though it would require 
some modifications to the datatracker, especially if we also want to 
include the recordings. But he thought this would be doable and would 
make things easier in the long run.

What do you all think? Would this be a good step forward? My only 
concern would be that this might make it more difficult for newcomers to 
find the tutorials, but we would still have the special link for 
newcomers on the ietf home page. And also newcomers will have to get 
used to using the datatracker.

Kind regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 08:10:52 +1200

Seems like a good idea to me.

> And also newcomers will have to get used to using the datatracker. 

They need to do that anyway. We'd just need a mini-tutorial for
that (outside the tracker).

Regards
   Brian

On 02/09/2013 21:20, Mirjam Kuehne wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> edu-team mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-team
>

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 09:39:36 -0400

> recordings via the datatracker.

What does this mean exactly? I.e., where would folk look? What URL
would they use?

I'd like to see the tutorials be part of the normal proceedings. That
is the obvious place to look for them... Or are they there already?

Thomas

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:45:00 +0200

Hi Thomas,

> What does this mean exactly? I.e., where would folk look? What URL

I assume it would be something like
https://datatracker.ietf.org/edu/newcomers

similar to the current WG pages:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/weirds

That doesn't mean we could still have a link on the front page.

> is the obvious place to look for them... Or are they there already?

Yes, they are already there:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/87/materials.html#training

If there are no serious objections in principle, I'll respond to Alexa 
and Henrik copying the edu-team, so we can discuss all the details with 
everyone involved.

Mirjam

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:12:16 +0200

Hi Alexa, Hi Henrik,

I brought this up on the edu-team list and there is general agreement to 
do it this way (at least I didn't see any objections :-) ). Henrik, are 
you taking it from here (creating a ticket etc.)? Is there anything you 
need from us at this point?

Kind regards,
Mirjam

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Suggestion to manage tutorial pages on datatracker?
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 11:20:04 +0200
From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
To: EDU Team <[email-masked]>

Hi,

-----

Kind regards,
Mirjam

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:11:29 +0200

Hi Mirjam,

> need from us at this point?

I've created a ticket, and we'll have to see who can start working on this.

Best regards,

	Henrik