Subject: [edu-team] Tutorials for IETF 93

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 16:27:00 +0200

Hi,

So, this is what we have for IETF 93.

13:00 Newcomer's Tutorial (Scott Bradner)
13:00 Routing Area Overview (Adrian Farell)
15:00 Document Editing and Shepherding (Barry Leiba)
15:00 Measurements (Vinayak Hegde)

If there are no objections, I'll ask Stephanie to put this on the web site.

Cheers,
Mirjam

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 15:38:45 +0200

Hi Stephanie,

Here are the tutorials for IETF 93.

13:00 Newcomer's Tutorial (Scott Bradner)
13:00 Routing Area Overview (Adrian Farrel, Jeff Haas)
15:00 Document Editing and Shepherding (Barry Leiba)
15:00 Introduction to Performance Measurements and Monitoring (Vinayak 
Hegde)

Descriptions for the Measurements tutorials and the Routing Area 
Overview are below. The one for Document Editing and Shepherding will be 
coming shortly.

Regards,
Mirjam
========

Introduction to Performance Measurements and Monitoring
Speakers: Vinayak Hegde

Description: There are a number of WGs at the IETF that deal with 
measurements, e.g. IPPM, BMWG, LMAP and PMOL . This tutorials will 
discuss what these WGs are working on and which parts of the network 
they focus on. We will talk about underlying statistics and data models 
and the difference between passive and active measurements. We will also 
present a number of existing measurement tools such as RIPE Atlas and 
M-Lab. Parts of the workshop will be hands-on, so we can discuss some 
real life examples and benefits and implications for network engineers.

Attendees should be familiar with TCP models and cross-layer network issues

---------

Routing Area Overview
Speakers: Arian Farrel & Jeff Haas

Description: This session will provide an overview of the work and 
activities in the Routing (RTG) Area of the IETF. The purpose of the 
tutorial is not to explain the routing protocols, but to describe the 
history and purpose of the Routing Area as well as to provide an 
overview of the current work in the area. It will show how the various 
working groups relate to each other and to working groups in other 
areas. Finally, the session will consider how routing-related work in 
other areas can access and benefit from the expertise available in the 
Routing Area.

---

From: Stephanie McCammon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 10:50:44 -0700

Hi Mirjam,

These have been added to the registration system and the IETF 93 meeting page. Please let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks,

Stephanie McCammon
IETF Project Manager
48377 Fremont Blvd, Ste. 117
Fremont, CA 94538
T: +1.510.492.4081
F: +1.510.492.4001

Association Management Solutions (AMS)
Forum Management, Meeting, and Event Planning
www.amsl.com

On Apr 9, 2015, at 06:38 , Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]> wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

13:00 Newcomer's Tutorial (Scott Bradner)
13:00 Routing Area Overview (Adrian Farrel, Jeff Haas)
15:00 Document Editing and Shepherding (Barry Leiba)
15:00 Introduction to Performance Measurements and Monitoring (Vinayak Hegde)

Descriptions for the Measurements tutorials and the Routing Area Overview are below. The one for Document Editing and Shepherding will be coming shortly.

Regards,
Mirjam
========

Description: There are a number of WGs at the IETF that deal with measurements, e.g. IPPM, BMWG, LMAP and PMOL . This tutorials will discuss what these WGs are working on and which parts of the network they focus on. We will talk about underlying statistics and data models and the difference between passive and active measurements. We will also present a number of existing measurement tools such as RIPE Atlas and M-Lab. Parts of the workshop will be hands-on, so we can discuss some real life examples and benefits and implications for network engineers.

---------

Routing Area Overview

Description: This session will provide an overview of the work and activities in the Routing (RTG) Area of the IETF. The purpose of the tutorial is not to explain the routing protocols, but to describe the history and purpose of the Routing Area as well as to provide an overview of the current work in the area. It will show how the various working groups relate to each other and to working groups in other areas. Finally, the session will consider how routing-related work in other areas can access and benefit from the expertise available in the Routing Area.

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 09:58:32 +0200

Thanks, Stephanie. And here is the description for the Document Editing 
and Shepherding tutorial:

Document Editing and Shepherding
Speaker : Barry Leiba
Description:
We're pretty well used to having document shepherds by now.  RFC 4858
talks about "Document Shepherding from Working Group Last Call to
Publication", but there's a significant part of a document's life that
happens before working group last call, starting at the time that a
working group begins discussing a version of the idea that's been
posted as an individual draft.  This session will discuss the job of
the document shepherd, the tasks that might be involved throughout a
working group document's lifecycle from start to finish, and the
potential for extending document shepherding into earlier stages in
that lifecycle.

Mirjam