Subject: [edu-team] Draft IETF 99 Edu & Mentoring Directorate Summary Report for IESG

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 17:31:42 +0200

Hi all,

I drafted a summary report for the IESG as agreed. There are a number of
things missing, i.e. survey results and some more info about the
mentoring activities and some of the other projects (I didn't know if we
wanted to mention all directorate projects in that mail).

Karen, can you please take this over and send this mail to the IESG next
week.

Thank you,
Mirjam
========

Draft mail to IESG after IETF 99, July 2017

IETF 99 Edu & Mentoring Directorate Report

A. Status of the Directorate
B. Edu Team Activities (Sunday tutorials, WG chairs training)
C. Mentoring Activities

A. Status of the Directorate
Directorate members identified, mailing list is set up, good
coordination meeting at IETF 99, followed by a newcomers feedback
session (very positive feedback from newcomers; most of them came well
prepared to the IETF).

B. Edu Activities
1. Sunday Tutorials
- Newcomers (Mike St.Johns); 85 attendees
- DPRIV (Sara Dickinson); 27 attendees
- IRTF Overview (Allison Mankin); 43 attendees
- IEEE 801.2 Time-Sensitive Networking (Janos Farkas, Pat Thaler, Norman
Finn); 56 attendees
- TEEP (Hannes Tschofenig, Ming Pei); 26 attendees

<Include summary of survey results here>

We would like to ask the IESG for input on potential topics for future
tutorials.
Deborah suggested to have more broad topics crossing multiple areas that
are relevant to the wider industry and community. Two possible topics:
IoT and end-to-end encryption.
Anything else the IETSG would like to see?

(see list of recent tutorials at the bottom of this mail).

Other ideas for IETF 100:

- Possibly re-do QUIC? Maybe in two sessions: first for “beginners”,
then second slot for advanced?
- webrtc? Possibly together with W3C?
- Possibly organise a newcomers online session (webinar) the week prior
to an IETF meeting to allow newcomers to be be better prepared when they
arrive at the meeting (newcomers liked the idea).

Working on improved presenter guidelines:

https://trac.ietf.org/trac/edu/wiki/GuidelinesForPresenters

General problem: too many things in parallel on Sunday, especially the
hackathon is popular and useful - also for newcomers (so they miss out
on a lot of the newcomers activities on Sunday).

2. WG Chairs Lunch Session
<pointer to minutes on datatracker>

- Short presentation about the new RFC data format by Heather Flanagan
- Short presentation by Greg Wood about the current status of
https://beta.ietf.org (received good feedback)

Open Mic session about any issues WG chairs want to talk about. Received
good format about possible topics for WG chairs (how to run a meeting
effectively; how to handle difficult situations).
Suggestions to provide different formats: sometimes a tutorial,
sometimes an open mic and experience sharing. WG chairs were generally
happy about the WG chairs session.

C. Mentoring activities
There were 20 matches for mentors/mentees this time.
Speed mentoring went well.

Appendix: List of recent tutorials

- Newcomers (in various languages)
- Independent Stream
- Security Considerations, RFC 3552bis
- QUIC
- DPRIVE
- Privacy
- Tools for creating IDs
- CBOR
- PRECIS
- YANG & NETCONF
- Various IEEE related tutorials
- Area Overviews: OPS, ART, INT, RTG, TSV, SEC,