Subject: [Emu] FW: New Version Notification for draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv-00

From: ncamwing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:41:11 -0800

Dear Colleagues,

As there have been discussions on how to carry data (such as crypto-binding,
channel data, result indication and posture assessment
as defined by the NEA group) beyond authentication methods inside an EAP
tunnel,  we have submitted a proposal for using a TLV container to type and
transport such data; the draft is referenced below.

We would appreciate all comments.

Thanks,
    Nancy.

------ Forwarded Message
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon,  4 Jan 2010 15:04:12 -0800 (PST)
To: Hao Zhou <[email-masked]>
Cc: Nancy Cam-Winget <[email-masked]>
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv-00

A new version of I-D, draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv-00.txt has been successfuly
submitted by Hao Zhou and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:  draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv
Revision:  00
Title:   EAP Type-Length-Value Container
Creation_date:  2010-01-05
WG ID:   Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 11

Abstract:
The Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), defined in RFC 3748,
facilitates multiple authentication methods that are widely deployed
today.  As tunnel mechanisms become more prevalent, there has been
interest in carrying other types of data between the EAP Peer and the
EAP server.  Existing tunnel EAP methods have already defined generic
data structures to carry such information.

This document defines a generic TLV "container" that can be used
within an EAP method.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on July 9, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.
This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

The IETF Secretariat.

------ End of Forwarded Message

---

From: Stephen McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:42:01 +0000

Nancy,
           I've reviewed
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-cam-winget-eap-tlv-00.txt and have the
following comments:

1) Is the intention to make the TLV types administered by IANA?
Doesn’t there have to be a request in this draft? (I’m not sure, but I
just wanted to know?)

2) I don’t think you really need a result TLV. In my opinion, it would
be better to minimize the TLV’s defined in this draft and leave
“result” or other functionality to the RFC that defines the additional
TLV types. That way this simply focuses on using EAP to transport
these TLV’s.

3) Do you really need Error TLV? Or could you combine NAK and Error
TLV? Take the example of an EAP-Request containing 2 vendor-specific
TLV’s. Let’s say one can be processed and the other cannot. How do I
use the “error TLV”? It might be better to define error fields within
the TLV and use NAK as an error type.

4) Do the TLV frames have a maximum length?

5) What are Result TLVs? Is this a typo?

Kind regards

Stephen

2010/1/20 ncamwing <[email-masked]>:
> _______________________________________________
> Emu mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/emu
>