Subject: [Emu] New drafts EAP-NOOB-Observations and EAP-UTE

From: Jan-Frederik Rieckers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2022 12:06:08 +0100

Hi to all,

For a Masters project at the University of Bremen and in my capacity as 
one of the national roaming operators for eduroam in Germany at the 
German National Research and Education Network I am currently looking 
into EAP-NOOB.

While reading the then draft, now RFC, for EAP-NOOB I noticed some 
things about the protocol specification, which I summed up in a draft.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rieckers-emu-eap-noob-observations/

I have not been active in this working group regarding this draft, so I 
have not followed the discussions about it, maybe some of these 
observations have already been discussed on the list. I'll look through 
the archives in the next weeks before the IETF meeting.

As part of my studies at the University of Bremen I also tried to put 
the design principles of EAP-NOOB into a new EAP method "EAP-UTE".
In this second draft I am trying to address the observations in the 
first draft.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rieckers-emu-eap-ute/

The EAP-UTE specification is in a very early stage and has a lot of 
TODOs/TBDs in the document. I have submitted it anyway, so I could 
receive feedback. I'll probably modify the editor's copy in the next 
weeks and maybe even try to have a simple implementation after the 
hackathon.

For now I'm interested in any feedback regarding these two drafts, 
especially if the new EAP method EAP-UTE is something that I should 
continue to work on.

Greetings

Janfred

Github links to the drafts:
https://github.com/Janfred/draft-rieckers-emu-eap-noob-observations
https://github.com/Janfred/draft-rieckers-emu-eap-ute

-- 
E-Mail: [email-masked] | Fon: +49 30884299-339 | Fax: +49 30884299-370
Pronomen: er/sein | Pronouns: he/him
__________________________________________________________________________________

DFN - Deutsches Forschungsnetz | German National Research and Education 
Network
Verein zur Förderung eines Deutschen Forschungsnetzes e.V.
Alexanderplatz 1 | 10178 Berlin
www.dfn.de

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Odej Kao (Vorsitzender) | Dr. Rainer Bockholt | 
Christian Zens
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Christian Grimm | Jochem Pattloch
VR AG Charlottenburg 7729B | USt.-ID. DE 1366/23822