Subject: Multiple bridge mib's

From: Mib Dude <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:24:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I am implementing an agent for a system that supports multiple
spanning trees. Ideally, I would like to support multiple instances of
the bridge mib. One way of doing this would be to define each bridge
as a Logical entity and use the community string to access the
different nameing scopes. Fine, but how does an NMS
(like openview) know about the different community strings,
potentially (16 bridges * 2) + (2 system) = 34 strings ? Is there some
other way ?
Thanks,
John.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Kevin Lingle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:18:57 -0500

> (like openview) know about the different community strings,

I don't think the platform (like hpov) will help you at all.  
If you are also developing a nm application (running on top of the platform), 
then your appl can have the necessary intelligence to form the right
community string for each snmp request.

Kevin

-- 
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Kevin R. Lingle       919.472.2029
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=