Subject: Re: New version of the Entity MIB I-D

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:07:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi - 

> Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 19:54:06 -0800
> From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
> Organization: Cisco Systems, Inc.
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: New version of the Entity MIB I-D
...
> I sent a new version of the Entity MIB to Cynthia and
> put a changebar version on the WG FTP site:
> 
> ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/ftp/entmib/entity_v2_01_02_diff.txt
...

A couple of quick comments:

    1)  the dates aren't consistant (November / December / expiration)
    2)  REVISION clause missing
    3)  suggest replacing "null string" with "empty string" or 
        "zero-length string"
    4)  In a couple of spots there's text like
|           or this information is unknown to the agent, then this        |
|           object will contain a zero-length string, or the agent may    |
|           omit such instances of this object."                          |
        Do we really want to do this?  Providing a zero-length string
        is unambiguous.  Omitting an instance can't be distinguished
        from cases where access control has prevented access to it.
    5)  some of the layout needs fixing (look near change bars for
        odd line breaks.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked] http://www.bmc.com
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------