Subject: [Entmib] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-entmib-state-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:33:07 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.  This draft is a work item of the Entity MIB Working Group
of the IETF.

	Title		: Entity State MIB
	Author(s)	: S. Chisholm, D. Perkins
	Filename	: draft-ietf-entmib-state-02.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2004-1-7
	
This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
for use with network management protocols in the Internet community.
In particular, it describes extensions to the entity MIB to
provide information about the state of the entity.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-entmib-state-02.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-entmib-state-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-entmib-state-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:25:57 -0500

Now that the newest version of the Entity State MIB is available,
the WG has a decision to make.  In my opinion, we have two
choices:

(1) We decide that the structure and objects defined in the
current draft are acceptable, and we send the current draft
to WG Last Call in order to identify and resolve final
issues.

(2) We decide that we want to change the structure or objects
defined in this MIB to make it simpler or more functional.

I would appreciate it if people would respond to this message
with their opinions, so that I can attempt to judge the consensus
of the WG on this issue.

Thanks,
Margaret

_______________________________________________
Entmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/entmib

---

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:25:57 -0500

Thanks,
Margaret

---

From: Subrahmanya Hegde <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:48:25 -0800

Hi
 a Minor Suggestion:

Instead of having these OID definitions:

-- Notifications

   entStateTraps      OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { entityStateMIB 2 }
   entStateTrapPrefix OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { entStateTraps 0 }

We can have
 entStateNotifs OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { entityStateMIB 0 }
 
and use 'entStateNotifs' in the corresponding NOTIFICATION-TYPE

Reason we would like to avoid name 'Traps' is: Latest RFCs refer them
as Notifications

Subra

---

From: Subrahmanya Hegde <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:48:25 -0800

Hi
 a Minor Suggestion:

-- Notifications

We can have

Subra

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:12:14 -0800

Hi -

> From: "Subrahmanya Hegde" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Margaret Wasserman" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 7:48 AM
> Subject: Re: [Entmib] Entity State MIB Next Steps
...
> Reason we would like to avoid name 'Traps' is: Latest RFCs refer them
...

This would also bring it into better alignment with the MIB review
guidelines.

Randy

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:12:14 -0800

Hi -

...
...

Randy