Subject: [Extra] Proposal: rename uniqueid to objectid

From: Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 15:03:57 +1000

I've already (in my current git copy of the uniqueid draft) renamed
things as:
MAILBOXID
EMAILID
THREADID

... and made MAILBOXID return status inside () to match RFC4466 ABNF ...
But there's one more thing.  Naming.  The doc currently still has the
capability as UNIQUEID.  The problem is that RFC3501 defines uniqueid as
nz-number in its ABNF, and reusing names is bad.
Workshopping this very briefly in the office here we've agreed that
SERVERID or SYSTEMID are too similar to server naming/versioning info
from the ID command; GLOBALID carries too many implications of
uniqueness across servers, which is not guaranteed; and DATAID is too
non-specific.
Which leaves OBJECTID.  It's not beautiful, but I think it does
represent that meaning pretty well, and it matches the usage of object
for types in JMAP.
Cheers,

Bron.

--
  Bron Gondwana, CEO, FastMail Pty Ltd
  [email-masked]

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 07:26:41 -0400

On 04/12/2018 01:03 AM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> capability as UNIQUEID.  The problem is that RFC3501 defines uniqueid 
> as nz-number in its ABNF, and reusing names is bad.
>

I'm fine with OBJECTID.

Here's a few other options OTH for consideration: ITEMID, ENTITYID, 
ELEMENTID

-- 
Ken Murchison
Cyrus Development Team
FastMail US LLC