Subject: [FAX] New proposed charter

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:06:54 +0900 (JST)

Dear Colleagues,

I am Hiroshi Tamura. I've become a co-chair of Fax extensions wg.

Unfortunately, Mr. Rafferty cannot continue to be a chair.
But, thanks to his great chairmanship, We achieived lots of things.
(Of course, including the people in this wg).

Anyway,
Following is the proposed charter in this wg.
Any comments are appreciated.

#######################################################

Proposed Charter:
================

Internet Fax Extensions (faxext)
--------------------------------

 Chair(s):
     Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
     One more person anticipated <>

 Applications Area Director(s):
     Keith Moore  <[email-masked]>
     Patrik Faltstrom <[email-masked]>

 Area Advisor
     ?

 Mailing lists:
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       In Body:  subscribe
     Archive:           http://www.imc.org/ietf-fax/

DESCRIPTION OF WORKING GROUP:

Previous IETF efforts developed specifications for simple and extended
Internet mail-based facsimile service profiles, tailored to interwork with
the world of T.30 facsimile.  This extension effort will produce a final
increment of specification for supporting a "full" equivalence of T.30 service
over Internet mail.  Technical work for this effort includes timely delivery,
[image] feature selection/negotiation, document privacy, and integrated
specification of Full-mode Facsimile Profile of Internet Mail (FFPIM).
Differential routing between classic Internet mail and timely deliveries
will be considered, as will universal messaging issues.

For interconnecting fax services over the dial-up telephone network and
carriage of facsimile message data over the Internet, two types of interface
systems are required:

o	Internet/Dial-up Fax gateway, moving data from the Internet to 
classic or Internet-aware dial-up fax products and services

o	Dial-up/Internet Fax gateway, moving data from classic or 
Internet-aware dial-up fax products and services to the Internet

The working group will also consider the requirements for gatewaying
Internet Mail (as profiled for facsimile Simple, Extended modes and FFPIM)
with T.30 Facsimile.

The working group will specifically take note of quality of service issues
and might decide to produce an Implementer's Guide.

T.30 facsimile carries expectations of message privacy, so that FFPIM must
specify a basic facility via the Internet.  Although T.30 does not provide
document authentication, users frequently believe that it does.
Consequently the Faxext working group will also seek specification of a basic
authentication facility over the Internet.

T.30 facsimile provides for receiver capability identification to the sender,
allowing a sender to provide the "best" fax image the receiver can handle.
The Faxext working group will consider mechanisms to provide similar
functionality for fax images transferred by e-mail.

Additional areas of discussion will be: Annotated fax messages and
universal messaging issues as they relate to FFPIM, as well as schema
and TIFF extensions required to support the new JBIG-2 (T.88)
compression method.

The working group will continue the excellent pattern of coordinating
activities with other facsimile-related standards bodies, in particular
the ITU, and with using work from related IETF efforts.

GOALS AND MILESTONES:  

Mar 2000	Working Group chartered

Mar 2000	Initial drafts for timely delivery , content negotiaton
		and FFPIM

Mar 2000	Initial draft of Implementors Guide for Simple and
		Extended mode

Jun 2000	Revised drafts for timely delivery, content negotiaton
		and FFPIM

Jul 2000	Initial Routing considerations draft

Jul 2000	Initial draft of gateway requirements

Jul 2000	Final draft of Implementors Guide for Simple and Extended mode

Sep 2000	Initial drafts of schema and TIFF-fx extensions for JBIG-2

Nov 2000	Final draft for timely delivery and content negotiaton.

Nov 2000	Final draft of Routing Considerations

Nov 2000	Final draft of FFPIM 

Mar 2001	Final draft of gateway requirements

Apr 2001	Final drafts of schema and TIFF-fx extensions for JBIG-2

#######################################################

--
Hiroshi Tamura, Ricoh Company, LTD.
Mail: [email-masked]
Tel: +81-46-228-1743  Fax: +81-46-228-7500 (SUB/F-code 5727)

---

From: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:20:58 -0800 (PST)

> I am Hiroshi Tamura. I've become a co-chair of Fax extensions wg.

Great!

> Any comments are appreciated.

The charter looks good (and well-worded, I might add).

However, what is FFPIM?  It is referenced in the charter but it isn't
defined.

> Jul 2000	Initial draft of gateway requirements

March 2000 is quickly approaching.  Have authors volunteered to write the
above "Initial drafts"?

I would recommend that the list of three initial drafts be separated
into three distinct line items, like the Implementors Guide:

  Mar 2000      Initial draft for timely delivery

  Mar 2000      Initial draft for content negotiaton for fax

  Mar 2000      Initial draft for FFPIM

-Dan Wing

---

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:09:37 +0900 (JST)

Wing-san,

Thank you for your comments.

> However, what is FFPIM?  It is referenced in the charter but it isn't

Although you know it, but, to make sure,

"Full-mode Fax Profile for Internet Mail:  FFPIM"

from "draft-ietf-fax-ffpim-00.txt"

> > Mar 2000	Initial draft of Implementors Guide for Simple and

This may not be "Initial", but "Revised".
"Initial" is "draft-ietf-fax-implementers-guide-00.txt"
But "Initial" may be better, even now. Modifications will be made for it.

>   Mar 2000      Initial draft of Implementors Guide for Simple and

OK. No problems for me.

Regards,

---

From: James Rafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:52:36 -0500

>(Of course, including the people in this wg).
To clarify, Patrik has asked me to stay on board as co-chair to assist
Tamura-san, until the selection of the other co-chair is finalized.  

I still have a couple of cleanup items on existing WG business.  The new
co-chairs will be handling the new issues, such as the re-chartering .  

James