Subject: Re: Re-iteration of Adobe concerns regarding TIFF FX

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:34:00 -0500 (EST)

note that the claim is about the use of tiff not just about about 
the format - do we have a copy of the previous agreemnet that
he referrs to?

Scott

---

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:43:43 +0900 (JST)

Dear Scott Bradner,

Subject: Re: Re-iteration of Adobe concerns regarding TIFF FX
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:34:00 -0500 (EST)

> the format - do we have a copy of the previous agreemnet that

At that time, I was not a chair. Unfortunately, I do not know
the situaitons well. Anyway, I checked our archive and found the following.

http://www.imc.org/ietf-fax/mail-archive/msg00573.html

This is about Adobe license letter to TIFF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
To: IETF-FAX <[email-masked]> 
     Subject: Adobe license to use TIFF in IETF standards 
     From: [email-masked] (Steve Zilles) 
     Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:43:58 -0800 
     Cc: [email-masked] 
     Sender: [email-masked] 

Since this topic has been discussed on this list, I am distributing a copy
of the letter providing a license to the IETF to use TIFF in the Internet
FAX standards. This letter has already been sent to Don Heath at ISOC.
Hopefully this will answer the questions on the use of TIFF.

                                                         September 29, 1997
Mr. Don Heath
Internet Society International Secretariate
12020 Sunrise Valley Drive
Suite 210
Reston, Virginia 20191

Re: Referencing TIFF specifications from ISOC/IETF Standards

Dear Mr. Heath,

There has been a discussion of the use of the TIFF specification as the
basis for the interchange of FAX data on the Internet. In conjunction with
that work, Adobe Systems supports the use of and, hereby, grants you a
license to use the  TIFF specification as the basis for an ISOC/IETF
standard provided the following conditions are met:

1.      The ISOC/IETF standard incorporates the TIFF specification only by
reference to a published version of the TIFF specification. This reference
should include both a version number and a publication date; for example,
TIFF 6.0 dated June 3, 1992.

2.      Adobe is acknowledged as the copyright holder on the version of the
TIFF specification that is referenced. The reference should include the
following copyright notice: The TIFF <add version as per choice in 1.
above> specification <add publication date as per choice in 1. above> ゥ
<add copyright dates from referenced specification> Adobe Systems
Incorporated. All Rights Reserved. For example, "The TIFF 6.0 specification
dated June 3, 1992 specification ゥ 1986-1988, 1992 Adobe Systems
Incorporated. All Rights Reserved."

3.      The name and text of the ISOC/IETF standard should make it clear
that the ISOC/IETF standard is not a definition of TIFF but is, instead, a
use of the particular TIFF  specification referenced. Adobe does not want
to create confusion in the market with multiple, non-identical TIFF
specifications.

4.      Adobe reserves the right to publish clarifications, updates,
extensions and/or revisions to the specification referenced. Adobe will
insure that each changed specification will bear a different date from all
previously issued specifications to avoid confusion. Significant changes
will normally bear a different version number as well. No part of the
ISOC/IETF standard will constrain the creation of such changed
specifications.

5.      Any file labeled as conforming to a particular version  of TIFF
should be processable by a conforming processor of that version. (In the
case of TIFF, processing of the Baseline TIFF requirements for the
particular version is all that is required for conformance to TIFF.) If the
files that conform to the ISOC/IETF standard are not processable by a
conforming processor for the referenced version, then they should not be
labeled with that version of TIFF or should be otherwise identified so that
a conforming processor would not be confused.

If there are any questions, please feel free to contact Steve Zilles at Adobe.

Sincerely,

Charles M. Geschke
President

cc: Steve Zilles, Adobe

--------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen N. Zilles             |  e-mail: [email-masked]   |
Adobe Systems Inc.            |                              |
Mailstop W14                  |  tel: (work)  (408) 536-4766 |
345 Park Avenue               |       (Admin) (408) 536-4751 |
San Jose, CA 95110-2704       |  fax:         (408) 537-4042 |
--------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this letter helps everybody.

Regards,
--
Hiroshi Tamura, Co-chair of IETF-FAX WG
E-mail: [email-masked]