Subject: Draft fax-processing-status-01.txt

From: MAEDA toru <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:50:27 +0900

Hi,

I have summarized discussions over the mailing list
on draft-maeda-faxwg-fax-processing-status-00.txt
and reflected them into the new version; fax-processing-status-01.txt.
Since ID data base is closed now, I am sending it to the mailing list.
I attached draft text which is not quite long.

Regrads.

Toru Maeda

INTERNET-DRAFT        Fax Processing Status       12 March 2001

IETF fax WG                                      Toru Maeda, CANON Inc.
Internet draft                                         12 March 2001
                                                    Expires: August 2001

                          Fax Processing Status
                <draft-maeda-faxwg-fax-processing-status-01.txt>

1.   ABSTRACT
   The notification of success/failure of document processing and page-
by-page status from the receiver is very important feature for not only
the classic fax but also the internet fax for Full Mode. EIFAX MAY
optionally use the notification.

2.  MDN Request
The ifax FFPIM transmitter MUST request MDN for the notification of
success/failure of document processing and page-by-page status
from the receiver.  EIFAX MAY request MDN for the notification
optionally.

3.  MDN Response
"a POP (or IMAP) implementation is expected to return MDN,
and an SMTP-only implementation is expected to honor DSN and
return MDN".

4.   MDN extension
To send fax processing status from the receiver, MDN extension field
is used for received page number, error page number and error status.

MDN extension field:
Fax-Report:
            ; Fax-Pages = received total page number
            ; Fax-Errorpage = error page number, Fax-Results = code

"Fax-Pages" will be returned to indicate received total page number
from the receiver, so the transmitter confirms the total page.

"Fax-Errorpage" will be returned to indicate error page number(s)
from the receiver, so the transmitter identifies the error page(s).

"Fax-Results" will be returned to indicate the detailed error status of
processing in the receiver.
These codes will be defined by fax wg discussion.(TBD)

      "01"     does not support the scan line length
      "02"     does not support the resolution
      "03"     does not support the Full color mode
      "04"     does not support the No subsampling
      "05"     does not support the other Illuminant
      "06"     does not support the other gamut range
      "07"     does not support the MRC page

[one page]
The page number in the status should count pages in the TIFF-FX file
but not sheets printed.  One page in the TIFF-FX file is defined by IFD.
One page in the TIFF-FX file may be printed in more than one sheet.

[page number]
The first page of TIFF file is the first page for the file.

[Multiple MIME parts]
For the multiple TIFF files,
"message-part-disposition-1" will be used to indicate the results of
processing in the receiver.
Suffix "1" will be counted up for every Multiple MIME part.

5.  Example
Following examples show related part of MDN, not whole.
EX-1 and EX-2 are the new detail from a normal MDN (expanding the
existing MDN spec).  EX-3,4,5 and 6 are the new detail which describe
the specific MIME parts which were transmitted.

EX-1
    message-status: succeeded
    Original-Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
    Disposition: automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; processed
    Fax-Report: Fax-Pages=10

EX-2
    message-status: error
    Original-Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
    Disposition: automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; processed/error
    Fax-Report: Fax-Pages=2
              ; Fax-Errorpage=3,
                Fax-Results=01     does not support the scan line length
              ; Fax-Errorpage=4,
                Fax-Results=02     does not support the resolution
              ; Fax-Errorpage=5,
                Fax-Results=03     does not support the Full color mode

EX-3
    message-part-disposition-1: content-id=1234@abc
    Disposition: automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; dispatched
    Fax-Report: Fax-Pages=10

EX-4
    message-part-disposition-2: content-id=859@abc;
    Disposition: automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; dispatched
    Fax-Report: Fax-Pages=10

EX-5
    message-part-disposition-3: content-id=2895@abc;
    Disposition: automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; processed/error
    Fax-Report: Fax-Pages=2
              ; Fax-Errorpage=3,
                Fax-Results=01     does not support the scan line length
              ; Fax-Errorpage=4,
                Fax-Results=02     does not support the resolution
              ; Fax-Errorpage=5,
                Fax-Results=03     does not support the Full color mode
EX-6
    message-part-disposition-4: content-id=3703@abc;
    Disposition: automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; processed/error
    Fax-Report: Fax-Pages=3
              ; Fax-Errorpage=4,
                Fax-Results=04     does not support the No subsampling
              ; Fax-Errorpage=5,
                Fax-Results=05     does not support the other Illuminant
              ; Fax-Errorpage=6,
                Fax-Results=06     does not support the other gamut range
              ; Fax-Errorpage=7,
                Fax-Results=07     does not support the MRC page

6.   Registration
The extended field will be registered to IANA under the registration procedure
written in RFC2434.

--------------------
MAEDA TORU
MIE Development Div. 2
CANON Inc.
--------------------

---

From: "McIntyre, Lloyd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:58:18 -0800

We appear to be approaching consensus with regard to MDN disposition status
so allow me to propose some modifications and refinements.

Lloyd

Given the RFC 2298 disposition format
Disposition: action-mode/sending-mode; disposition-type/disposition-modifier

1. In the case of processing and or rendering failure:

a) If an entire MIME part cannot be rendered and reason for failure is not
fully understood or does not fit into one of a series of error-modifier
categories then disposition-type = processed/error may be appropriate.

Example
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; processed/error

b) If portion of a MIME part cannot be rendered and reason for failure is
not fully understood or does not fit into one of a series of descriptive
error-modifier categories then disposition-type = processed/error with page
identification information may be appropriate. 
  disposition-type = processed/error:pages

"pages" reflects totalpages and comma separate errorpages or errorpages 
   pages= totalpages=N,errorpages=a,b,c

   - "totalpages" reflects the total page count "N" within the MIME part. If
present, totalpages shall be the first of the pages parameters.
     totalpages is included when the MIME part is not page formatted by the
sender and does not include a page count. If present, it shall be the first
error modifier listed. This is the case when the MIME part is text/plain.
This becomes valuable when offramp gateways are involved and the offramping
occurs over services that do not guarantee message integrity, portions of
the message may not be delivery (e.g. PSTN fax). There is no need to include
totalpages when the page count of the MIME content is predetermined, as in
the case of an image/TIFF MIME content.

   - "errorpages=a,b,c", where a,b,c is a comma string of page numbers,
represents the pages not rendered. If totalpages is present then
errorpages=a,b,c shall be the second of the pages parameters.
 
Example
If the page count is not predetermined,
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
processed/error:totalpages=10,errorpages=2,7
If the page count is predetermined,
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
processed/error:errorpages=2,7

c) If an entire MIME part cannot be rendered and reason for failure is
understood and does fit into one of a series of error-modifier categories
then disposition-type = processed/error with a series of error-modifier is
suggested to better inform the sender for future interactions.
  disposition-type = processed/error:error-modifier

  error-modifier= 
     unsupported file format/
        - where the file format is not supported or recognized 
     unsupported compression/
        - where the compression type is not supported or recognized
     unsupported resolution/
        - where the resolution is not supported or recognized
     unsupported image size/
        - where the image size is not supported
     unsupported parameters/
        - where there may be a combination of unsupported encoding
parameters

Example
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
processed/error:unsupported file format

d) If portion of a MIME part cannot be rendered and reason for failure is
understood and does fit into one of a series of error-modifier categories
then disposition-type = processed/error:pages,error-modifier is suggested to
better inform the sender for future interactions. When pages is present then
error-modifier shall be the comma separated second set of error parameters

Example
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
processed/error:totalpages=10,errorpages=2,7,unsupported file format
or
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
processed/error:errorpages=2,7,unsupported file format

2) In the case of processing and rendering with possible distortions then
the use disposition-type= dispatched with "warning" disposition modifier and
possibly a series of warning modifiers may be appropriate.

a) If an entire MIME part is rendered with possible image distortion and the
distortion is not fully understood or does not fit into one of a series of
warning-modifier categories then disposition-type = dispatched/warning may
be appropriate.
Example
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically; dispatched/warning

b) If portion of a MIME part is rendered with possible image distortion and
reason for failure is not fully understood or does not fit into one of a
series of descriptive warning modifier categories then disposition-type =
dispatched/warning with page information may be appropriate. 
  disposition-type = processed/error:pages 

"pages" reflects totalpages and comma separate warningpages or warningpages 
   pages= totalpages=N,warningpages=a,b,c

   - "totalpages" reflects the total page count "N" within the MIME part. If
present, totalpages shall be the first of the pages parameters.
     The rational is same as for errors.

   - "warningpages=a,b,c", where a,b,c is a comma string of page numbers,
represents the pages rendered with possible distortion. If totalpages is
present then warningpages=a,b,c shall be the second of the pages parameters.

Example
If the page count is not predetermined,
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
dispatched/warning:totalpages=10,warningpages=2,7
or if the page count is predetermined,
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
dispatched/warning:warningpages=2,7

c) In the case of processing and rendering of an entire MIME part with
possible distortions for reasons understood, such as format transformations
or encoding transcoding, then the use of type-type= dispatched/warning with
a series of warning-modifiers is suggested to better inform the sender for
future interactions.
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
dispatched/warning:warning-modifier

warning-modifier=
   rendered as gray/
     - when a color image is processed but rendered as gray
   rendered at lower color fidelity/
     - when a color image is processed but rendered at a lower color quality
   rendered at lower resolution/
     - when the image is processed but rendered at lower resolution
   size scaled down to fit/
     - when the image is processed but scaled down with aspect ratio
retention to accommodate rendering
   size scaled down to fit with distortion/
     - when the image is processed but scaled down without aspect ratio
retention to accommodate rendering
   possible distortions due to encoder change/
     - when the image is transcoded to a different encoding, such as from a
lossless to a lossy encoding (e.g. JBIG color to JPEG) to accommodate
offramping  or down stream processing 
   possible distortions due to transmission errors/
     - when the image is subjected to offramp transmission errors 
   possible distortions due to file errors/
     - when image distortion is likely to result from inconsistent tag
values for tags such as XResolution, YResolution and ImageWidth;
PhotometricInterpretation, SamplesPerPixel, and BitsPerSample

Example
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
dispatched/warning:rendered as gray

d) In the case of processing and rendering portion of the MIME part with
possible distortions for reasons understood, such as format transformations
or encoding transcoding, then the use of type-type= dispatched/warning with
page indication and a series of warning-modifiers may be appropriate.
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
dispatched/warning:pages,warning-modifier

Example
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
dispatched/warning:totalpages=10,warningpages=2,7,rendered as gray
or 
  disposition = automatic-action/MDN-sent-automatically;
dispatched/warning:warningpages=2,7,rendered as gray

***********************************************
Lloyd McIntyre        [email-masked]
Xerox Corp., Xerox Architecture Center
3400 Hillview Ave. Bldg. 1
Palo Alto, CA 94304
Tel: +1 650 813 6762   fax: +1 650 813 6860
***********************************************

---

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:48:41 +0900 (JST)

Interesting.

I do not have enough time to check in detail now, but
there are two things I would like to comment now.

1. disposition format

> Disposition: action-mode/sending-mode; disposition-type/disposition-modifier

The exact format is below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

   disposition-field = "Disposition" ":" disposition-mode ";"
                       disposition-type
                       [ '/' disposition-modifier
                         *( "," dispostion-modifier ) ]

   disposition-mode = action-mode "/" sending-mode

   action-mode = "manual-action" / "automatic-action"

   sending-mode = "MDN-sent-manually" / "MDN-sent-automatically"

   disposition-type = "displayed"
                    / "dispatched"
                    / "processed"
                    / "deleted"
                    / "denied"
                    / "failed"

   disposition-modifier = ( "error" / "warning" )
                        / ( "superseded" / "expired" /
                            "mailbox-terminated" )
                        / disposition-modifier-extension

   disposition-modifier-extension = atom

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Therefore, 

>   disposition-type = processed/error:pages

It cannot be expressed.
If you use this field("Disposition"), your only choice is
to extend "dispostion-modifier-extension".

Or, "dispostion-modifier-extension" is "error:pages"?

The definition of this extension or somthing is necessary.

2. Similar proposal by Maeda-san

Your proposal;

>       "07"     does not support the MRC page

I think these two proposal should be merged.

Regards,
--
Hiroshi Tamura, Ricoh Company, LTD.
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:49:21 -0800

...
> I think these two proposal should be merged.

Agreed.  I would like to reiterate my desire that the returned MDN indicate
success/failure of each MIME attachment.

-d

---

From: MAEDA toru <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:53:06 +0900

Wing-san

>success/failure of each MIME attachment.

I put the returned MDN indicates success/failure of each MIME attachment as 
follows
in fax-processing-status-01.txt.

[Multiple MIME parts]

EX-3

EX-4

EX-5

-----------------------------------
キヤノン株式会社
映像事務機MIE推進センター
映像事務機MIE第２開発部
前田　徹
146-8501　東京都大田区下丸子３−３０−２
電話　03-3757-9738、FAX　03-3757-8205
-----------------------------------

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:56:53 -0800

Can we send this idea to the notifications mailing list (which I believe is
where MDNs were standardized) for their comments?

-d

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of MAEDA toru
> Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 9:53 PM
> To: Dan Wing; Hiroshi Tamura; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: MDN disposition status
>
>
> Wing-san
>
>

---

From: Hiroshi Tamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 13:57:21 +0900 (JST)

> where MDNs were standardized) for their comments?

Yes, I think so, too.

Could you tell us the address of notifications ML?

Regards,

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:55:57 -0800

[email-masked]

-d

> From: Hiroshi Tamura [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 8:57 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]