Subject: tiff extensions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:18:44 -0800

To the Internet FAX WG:

The IPP FAX group would like to reference the TIFF-FX standard with
Extension 1 in its IPP FAX standard.  Then the IPP FAX standard could just
define a TIFF-FX profile.

We suggest that these extensions be considered for inclusion in your
"TIFF-FX Extensions 1" specification:

a. The following additional image resolutions: 2400x2400, 2880x2880,
4800x4800, 720x720, and 1440x1440.

b. means to specify the media size by dimensions, instead of by name.  We
suggest using the new PWG Media Size string syntax and semantics which has
both name and two dimensions in it, i.e., 'na-letter.8500-11000',
'iso-a4.2100-2970', 'na-custom-long-and-narrow.6000-14000' and
'custom-xyz.2000-3000'.  See:
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/media-sizes/pwg-media-size-03.pdf

Actually the thing we need is the drawing surface size not the actual physical
media size

c. additional standard color spaces, besides CIELAB.  Possibilities include:

For Grayscale Images: Sample values in a grayscale (single-component) JPEG
image shall be converted to the sRGB color space by setting

   Rout= Gout = Bout = Grayin

For Color Images: Sample values in 3-component JPEG images shall be
interpreted as YCbCr samples, as would be obtained by applying the matrices
described in ITU BT.601 to sRGB input data.

Thank you,
Paul Moore
Chair, IPP FAX WG