Subject: draft-maeda-faxterminal-mode-goals-01.txt

From: MAEDA toru <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 19:54:45 +0900

Hi,

I have summarized discussions over the mailing list
on draft-maeda-faxwg-terminal-mode-goals-00.txt
and reflected them into the new version;
draft-maeda-faxwg-terminal-mode-goals-01.txt.
Since ID data base is closed now, I am sending it to the mailing list.
I attached draft text which is not quite long.

Regrads.

Toru Maeda

INTERNET-DRAFT        Goals for Terminal Mode       12 March 2001

IETF fax WG                                      Toru Maeda, CANON Inc.
Internet draft                                         12 March 2001
                                                    Expires: August 2001

                          Goals for Terminal Mode
                <draft-maeda-faxwg-terminal-mode-goals-01.txt>

1. Introduction
The specification defines the Terminal Mode carriage of
facsimile data over the Internet, and its functionality necessary
for achieving reliability, timeliness and capabilities negotiation for
Internet mail that is on a par with classic T.30 facsimile.

Terminal Mode is intend to implement features of all classic T.30
facsimile over Internet, providing a level of service that approximates
the level currently enjoyed by fax users, and providing all fax-specific
features that will be implemented in an embedded fax device software
working on G3 fax based system with limited memory size and CPU
performance.  These fax specific features to be supported are Polling,
Subaddress, Password, senders ID, Internet Selective Polling address,
Internet Routing address and Double Side Printing, which will be easy
to develop gateway function between G3 fax and Terminal Mode Internet
fax.

Also new features are designed such as (1) legal support by fax header or
cover page with sender's ID and Time&date, (2) end to end SMTP session
and (3) One SMTP session for capability exchange/image
transmission/confirmation.

2. Goals for Terminal Mode
Those are goals for Terminal Mode.

Easy to Implement
Interworking with G3 fax, IFAX Simple Mode and EIFAX
Features shared with G3 fax

Proof of delivery/receipt
Capability Exchange
Timely Delivery

Data Format Support
Cover Page and Fax Header
Date and Time Information
Legal Issue
Legal Identity Exchange
Quality of output

Addressing Support

Use of Existing Infrastructure
Reliably in the global Internet

Security

3. Detail Discussion
3.1  legal support
Terminal Mode MUST support the legal requirement same as required
in classic fax by fax header or cover page with sender's ID and
Time&date.

3.2  end-to-end SMTP session
Terminal Mode should support SMTP for transmit and receive.
ESMTP will be extended to support end-to-end connection between the
transmitter and the receiver in the Terminal Mode.

3.3  One SMTP session
Terminal Mode MUST support one end-to-end SMTP session for capability
exchange, image transmission and confirmation.

There were discussion about confirmation.
The direct E2E communication doesn't need DSN confirmation because
the sender knows the result of delivery confirmation when the communication
finished. If the receiver can not accept the data, it will return to
the sender error code such as 4xx or 5xx as e-mail server.

After sending 250 to the sender for success of reception and before
closing the SMTP session, the receiver will send an accurate confirmation 
in MDN.

After printing, IFAX can send an accurate confirmation including the result
of printing.

3.4 Proof of delivery/receipt
"delivery confirmation" and "processing confirmation" should be requested in
Terminal Mode.  DSN will not be required for "delivery confirmation" on 
end-to-end
SMTP.

3.5 Fall back
When the transmitter can not connect SMTP to the receiver,
the transmitter MAY send it by Simple Mode, EIFAX or FFPIM
to the email server for the destination address, manually

--------------------
MAEDA TORU
MIE Development Div. 2
CANON Inc.
--------------------