Subject: [fdt] Summary of the Formal Languages Bar BoF at IETF 106 in Singapore

From: Stephen McQuistin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 14:24:14 +0000

We held a Bar BoF on Thursday October 21st, at IETF 106 in Singapore. This
first informal meeting was well attended, with 8 participants.

The range of projects/languages that were represented included:
  - Computerate Specifying (draft-petithuguenin-computerate-specifying)
  - Augmented Packet Header Diagrams (draft-mcquistin-augmented-ascii-diagrams)
  - ABNF (RFC 5234)
  - CBOR (RFC 7049)
  - Mathematical Mesh (draft-hallambaker-mesh-architecture)

We identified that there are common issues with the design, adoption, and
deployment of formal description techniques that are worthy of wider
discussion.

With this in mind, we plan to organise a side meeting at IETF 107 in March 
2020 in Vancouver. In addition, we will encourage participation with a
formal languages table at the IETF 107 Hackathon.

Once these activities have been scheduled, we look forward to input on
projects, languages, and other topics that should be discussed.

Thank you,

Stephen McQuistin & Marc Petit-Huguenin

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 15:58:54 +0100

>  - CBOR (RFC 7049)

Actually, the formal language is CDDL (RFC 8610); CBOR (RFC 7049) and JSON (RFC 8259) are the two serialization formats that are targeted by CDDL at this time.

Grüße, Carsten