Subject: Ftp-WG: MLSD details

From: Frank da Cruz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 14:19:18 -0500

Hi all, I just now joined this group.

I have been working to add the new FTP protocol features from RFC 2389 as
well as most of what's in the Elz and Hethmon FTP Extensions Internet Draft
to the Kermit FTP client:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftpclient.html

(for the next Kermit release) and found that adding MLSD support to a
regular command-driven NLST-using FTP client can result in surprises for
the user and/or complication of the user interface, as described here in
some detail:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/newftp.html

I've been having private conversations on these topics with some of you,
and have been encouraged to join the group and bring the issues into the
open to see if anybody else believes they should be considered before the
current draft advances.  Therefore I invite you to read the document at
the URL immediately above and comment to the list.

Meanwhile I'll try to put together suggested amendments to the draft that
might be helpful.

Thanks.

Frank da Cruz
The Kermit Project
Columbia University
New York City
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/