Subject: [ftpext] Expired FTP ID review: draft-twine-ftpmd5-00

From: Anthony Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:21:24 -0400

I found out about this ID after working on draft-bryan-ftp-hash. I
contacted the author and he said he did not plan to continue work on
it, which stopped in 2002.

The ideas are similar, a command to request the hash of a file, but it
is tied to one algorithm (MD5) and there is another command (MMD5) to
request the hashes of multiple files in a single command. My draft
defines a HASH command which can be used to request any accepted
algorithm (from an IANA registry name "Hash Function Textual Names").

draft-twine-ftpmd5-00 is one of at least ten non-standard FTP hash or
checksum commands. It is supported by at least two servers: Apache FTP
Server and Cross FTP Server. The fragmentation in support of all these
different but similar commands led to my draft.

I reference this draft in the Informative References section of mine.
John Klensin suggested that draft-twine-ftpmd5-00 be marked as
superseded by my draft.
-- 
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads