Subject: [gaia] Fwd: [ciresearchers] FW: [Bp_localcontent] Local Content Definition - maybe Locally Relevant Content

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 11:00:37 +0100

Relevant.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "michael gurstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Jul 2014 09:30
Subject: [ciresearchers] FW: [Bp_localcontent] Local Content Definition -
maybe Locally Relevant Content
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc:

An interesting articulation of the position of Disney Corp. on the issue of
“Local Content”.

M

*From:* Bp_localcontent [mailto:[email-masked]] *On
Behalf Of *Blackler, Ellen M.
*Sent:* Tuesday, July 08, 2014 6:53 PM
*To:* [email-masked]
*Subject:* [Bp_localcontent] Local Content Definition - maybe Locally
Relevant Content

Greetings everyone –

I look forward to this discussion.  I would like to weigh in in favor of a
broad definition of local content along the lines of what Susan started
with.  We have actually been using the term locally-relevant content in an
attempt to capture the idea that it is whatever the user decides is
relevant to the communities (either physical or virtual) that they see
themselves belonging to.  Clearly language is a major part of that (and
rightfully a focus of efforts to expand content).    Likewise, I think it
would be fruitful to understand and encourage ways  to improve capabilities
for content creation locally as both an economic development and diversity
matter,  and ways to improve facilities likes IXPs, hosting and caching
because of the impacts on end users and access Michel Kende has talked
about.

I think the biggest pitfall we should avoid (and I think we are so far), is
a focus on where the content is produced.  I have no evidence but suspect
that often early in the adoption curve process a lot of content in a local
language is produced outside a particular locale.  And certainly in
repressive places a lot of important but locally relevant content gets
produced elsewhere.   The reality is for professional content like movies
where they get made is a global market based on things outside the normal
Internet policymaking context like tax credits!  And of course in a
diaspora situation people in a language community are not in the same
physical space.

While I have your attention, I will use this opportunity to make a plug for
a panel I am working on at the IGF (Panel 201) that will bring content
creators from around the world to talk about barriers to and opportunities
for locally relevant content creation.   We have the CEO of iROKOtv, which
is often called the Nigerian Netflix, an app developer working in the LatAm
market from Guatemala, an app developer from Africa working in the Kenya
and SA, and one of our partner producers from Turkey.   I hope it will be a
good opportunity to understand the models people are using to successfully
create locally relevant content, the barriers and the environment that
encourages more creation.

Look forward to continued discussion!  Best, Ellen

To unsubscribe (subscribe) send an email to: [email-masked] with the
message unsub (sub) ciresearchers