Subject: [gaia] how to ensure Internet for all in the US? - NYT Debate

From: Nick Feamster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 13:24:08 +0200

This is worth reading:

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/07/10/how-to-make-the-internet-available-to-all/make-internet-providers-regulated-utilities

-Nick

---

From: Bezdomny <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 21:02:27 +0300

So,  why would blacks and Latinos want to be on the Internet? Outside their
houses they are arrested and harassed by police, why would you want to give
them a reason to come into the house?
Blacks and Latinos live in a different country even if they're just next
door.  There are different rules for them and if they're broken it's
instant jail time.
For people who get their info from television, i.e.  infrequent internet
users, the Internet is portrayed as a dangerous place where anything can go
wrong and you could be breaking the "law" without even knowing it,  so why
bring that trouble home?

Maybe the only safe way to use the Internet is to create a wifi mesh ghetto
in order to physically delineate the digital segregation that's already
been put in place?

Funny, but I'd rather be in that digital ghetto, seems so much more
attractive than the www we're corralled into daily like tagged cattle where
we're forced to watch recycled culture tidbits while we're examined by the
butcher before digital liquidation, only to repeat the process the next
day. Perhaps a wireless ghetto could create a hotbed of cultural creation,
thereby liberating those hidden on the less green side of the digital
divide.
On Jul 11, 2014 2:24 PM, "Nick Feamster" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>