Subject: [gaia] Fwd: Research Assistant for Rural Networks

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 12:19:53 +0100

please see below..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 July 2014 11:28
Subject: Research Assistant for Rural Networks
To: NetOS List <[email-masked]>

Sending this on behalf of Mahesh Marina -- please contact him if you
are interested/or know anyone.

Research Assistant for Rural Networks

In connection with a research project at the University of Edinburgh
to establish a long-distance wireless backbone to connect community
broadband networks on the West Coast of Scotland.

We are looking for a computer scientist with some practical experience
of computer networking, but who -- most importantly -- is prepared to
learn on the job.   We need someone who is prepared to

   (1) help design and implement a network that can co-exist with
       existing community networks,

   (2) help manage and organise the project,

   (3) climb up hills and cross the sea, sometimes in unpleasant
       weather to help with the physical installation of relays,

   (4) document the work and instruct local communities, and

   (5) enjoy the fantastic scenery and hospitality of the Scottish
       Highlands and Islands and get real pleasure from providing help
       to remote communities that are desperate for decent Internet.

For some further information, see www.tegola.org.uk.  Please note that
this position is not yet certain, but we hope to have a better idea by
August 2014 and need to start looking now. We are happy to consider
part-time positions or combine with pro-bono support from industry.

If you are interested please contact Peter Buneman by e-mail with
"Research Assistant for Rural Networks" in the header.

--
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/