Subject: [gaia] ACM DEV 2014 - Call for Papers

From: Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 19:24:44 -0400

(Apologies if you get multiple copies)

Hi all,

Attached is the CFP for ACM Symposium on Computing for Development (DEV)
http://acmdev.org

For those of you new to DEV, this is the premier venue for all works
pertaining to new computing innovations for development.  So if you are
working on any new solutions in the broad charter of GAIA, this conference
is a great venue to submit.
We are also having a GAIA meeting that is co-located with the conference.
Please consider submitting your research to this venue.

Submission deadline is: Aug 1, 2014

cheers
Lakshmi

ACM Symposium on Computing for Development (DEV)

Call for Papers

DEV 2014 provides an international forum for research in the design and
implementation of information and communication technologies (ICTs) for
social and economic development. In particular, we focus on emerging
contexts where conventional computing solutions are often inappropriate due
to various contextual factors - including, but not limited to, cost,
language, literacy, and the availability of power and bandwidth.

Papers and posters should describe original and previously unpublished
research. Three metrics will be applied to judge the submissions: (a)
Relevance of the problem for development; (b) Novelty of the technical
solution; (c) Evaluation of the solution, making a case for
development-focused impact. All DEV paper submissions should either provide
or directly motivate a novel technical solution that has direct
implications for development. Topics of interest include, but are not
limited to:

Networks/Systems/Security/Architecture
   Low-cost wireless connectivity
   Intermittent networks and systems
   Power-efficient systems
   Low-cost computing devices
   Mobile systems and applications
   Mixed networks, e.g., telephony and IP
   Special-purpose sensor systems
   Security challenges in developing regions

HCI/Applications
   User interfaces for low-literacy populations
   Multi-lingual computing
   User-interfaces for low-cost devices
   Participatory methods and user-centered design
   Accessibility to disabled populations in developing regions
   Design and evaluation of applications for health, microfinance,
education,
  agriculture, entertainment

AI/NLP/Data Mining/Speech/Vision
   Machine learning techniques for large-scale data analysis in development
contexts
   Adapting content and applications to local languages and education levels
   Understanding social relationships and information flows in disadvantaged
societies
   Speech interfaces and speech recognition for low-resource languages
   Development of new AI-centric tools/solutions for development
   Computer vision challenges in development

We also welcome papers outside of these topics that address the DEV focus
on computing innovations supporting social and economic development. More
information is available on the website: http://dev5.acmdev.org/. Follow
conference updates on @ACMDEV2014. Please direct enquiries to
[email-masked].

Important Dates

Full paper due:
Author notification:
Conference:
August 1, 2014 (11:59pm UTC) - firm deadline
September 8, 2014
December 5-6, 2014

-- 
"Have a dream, pursue it!" -- Anonymous

---

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 17:51:28 -0400

All,
  the deadline for ACM DEV has now been extended to August 8th. Please
do consider submitting.

http://acmdev.org/

Regards
Arjuna

On 8 July 2014 19:24, Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/