Subject: [gaia] Offline Google

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 21:36:25 +0000

Positive move from Google.
https://www.fastcodesign.com/3067713/google-is-quietly-rebuilding-itself-offline

---

From: Lakshminarayanan Subramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 17:14:33 -0500

The offline search seems to have very similar characteristics to our
RuralCafe work from WWW'09:
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1526765

2017-02-05 16:36 GMT-05:00 Arjuna Sathiaseelan <
[email-masked]>:

> _______________________________________________
> gaia mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/gaia
>
>

---

From: "Eric A. BREWER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 21:37:06 -0800

This is a generally accurate article.  I provide some help at Google on
"Next Billion Users" and there is even a 2G testbed at Google now so that
developers can get a sense of how bad apps can be over such a network.
The old phones with low RAM/storage do not help either. Overall it is a
good direction with positive benefits world wide.