Subject: [gaia] Fwd: CFP: International Digital Divide Conference 24-26 May 2017, San Diego, California, USA

From: Melissa Densmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 07:52:51 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------

** Please pass this message on to colleagues, networks, and lists to whom
it would be of interest.  Thank you! **

PARTNERSHIP FOR PROGRESS ON THE DIGITAL DIVIDE (PPDD)

2017 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

24-26 May 2017

Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina

San Diego, California USA

http://www.ppdd.org/conferences/ppdd2017/

In conjunction with the 67th International Communication Association Annual
Conference

Partnership for Progress on the Digital Divide (PPDD) is the only academic
professional organization in the world focused solely on the digital divide
and on connecting research to policymaking and practice to strategize
actions and catalyze solutions to this pressing societal concern.  The
academic research and practitioner community represented by PPDD stands
ready to advance the agenda on broadband and the digital divide, to address
the many challenges and opportunities presented by the digital world, and
to further evidence-based policymaking and practice so that all citizens
can participate fully in the digital, networked age.

The interdisciplinary Partnership for Progress on the Digital Divide 2017
International Conference brings together researchers, policymakers, and
practitioners for an extended, in-depth dialogue about key issues that
inform information and communication technologies and the digital divide
around the world. The Conference works to identify new areas of necessary,
productive focus, foster greater understanding, advance research, and
enlighten policy and practice going forward. As a major outcome of PPDD
2017, we plan to produce an edited volume of the top papers as well as
special issues of our Publishing Partners' journals on specific themes
within the digital divide area.

If you would like to present and discuss your work during PPDD 2017 and
have it included in the online PPDD 2017 Conference Proceedings and/or if
you would like to provide a Position Paper for inclusion in the PPDD 2017
E-Book, please see the Call for Participation (http://www.ppdd.org/
conferences/ppdd2017/cfp/) for instructions on how to submit your work for
consideration.

If you would like to just attend PPDD 2017 to explore the issues and grow
your knowledge and network of connections, please know that you are very
welcome and valued in the PPDD Conference Community.

Please join PPDD and an unprecedented broad multi-disciplinary coalition of
co-sponsoring organizations from academic and practitioner communities to
share your insights and expertise. Together, we will enrich the dialogue,
connect research, policy and practice, and advance the agenda on the
digital divide.

Please contact conference [at] ppdd [dot] org with any questions.

------------------------------------------

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

------------------------------------------

If you would like to 1) present and discuss your work during PPDD 2017 and
have it included in the online PPDD 2017 Conference Proceedings, and/or if
you would like to 2) provide a Position Paper for inclusion in the PPDD
2017 E-Book, we look forward with enthusiasm to your contribution and ask
that you please follow the instructions provided at http://www.ppdd.org/
conferences/ppdd2017/cfp/ to submit your work.  Submissions are welcome
from researchers, policymakers, and practitioners at all stages of their
careers, from any theoretical and methodological approach, and across
multiple disciplines.

1) Deadline to Submit Your 250-Word Abstract for Consideration for
Presentation: 6 March 2017 11:59 p.m. Hawaii Time

Notification of Acceptance: 24 March 2017

If you have visa or other time-sensitive concerns, please submit your work
as quickly as possible and email conference [at] ppdd [dot] org to request
an expedited review so you can receive notification shortly after
submission.

Before we can address the digital divide, we must first understand the
nature of life in the digital age, the many challenges and opportunities it
presents, and the interplay of influence between technological and social
change. Then, in turn, we can fully understand digital inequality; its
place alongside other long-standing, persistent issues of social equity,
social justice, and media justice; and what it means to be disconnected
from the most important technological advancement in communication in a
generation and the myriad possibilities it facilitates. Thus, PPDD 2017
invites work that informs issues related to information and communication
technologies and the digital divide broadly defined, including but not
limited to:

- gaps in access and connectivity

- digital inclusion

- digital exclusion

- digital (dis)engagement

- challenges and opportunities

- social and cultural aspects of the divide

- the skills and digital/information literacy needed to interpret,
understand, and navigate information presented online and the requisite
curriculum

- effective use by individuals and communities

- the impact of socioeconomic factors on user behavior

- the role of motivation, attitudes, and interests

- differences in patterns of usage

- characteristics and conceptualizations of non-users

- the ways in which people use the Internet to create content

- content creation and inequality

- different forms of capital and power relationships

- the impact of new and evolving technologies

- the mobile divide

- the interplay of influence with mobile technologies

- social media

- socioeconomic and cultural effects

- social equity, social and economic justice, and democracy

- media justice and ICTs

- the ethics of digital inequality

- community informatics

- social informatics

- urban and regional planning

- social planning

- international development

- indigenous populations

- education

- ICTs and well-being

- health

- disability and accessibility

- politics, digital government, digital citizenship, smart
cities/citizens/government, civic engagement, adoption issues, and
(in)equality

- global citizenship

- policy discourse

- law and policy and its impacts, including information/telecommunications
policy, net neutrality, open access, open source, copyright, Internet
filtering software, and censorship

- the digital security divide

- the digital privacy divide

- big data and inequality

- public access initiatives

- anchor institutions

- practitioner-oriented topics considering aspects of design, management,
implementation, assessment, collaboration, challenges, problem solution,
and opportunities

- architectural challenges and deployment experiences

- Internet access cost analyses

- the application of research to communities, practice, and public and
private sector initiatives

2) Deadline to Submit a Position Paper for the PPDD 2017 Conference E-Book:
17 April 2017 11:59 p.m. Hawaii Time

All PPDD 2017 attendees may submit a position paper and all submissions
that follow the guidelines provided at http://www.ppdd.org/
conferences/ppdd2017/cfp/ will be included in the PPDD 2017 Conference
E-Book.

-----------------------------------------------------

HOTEL AND OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES

-----------------------------------------------------

On the PPDD 2017 Hotel and Optional Activities page (http://www.ppdd.org/
conferences/ppdd2017/hotelactivities/), you will find full details about
the PPDD 2017 Conference hotel, optional 23 May 4-Hour Field Trip to
Digital Inclusion Program Sites Plus Early-Bird Group Dinner, optional 25
May Group Dinner at a Polynesian Restaurant Overlooking San Diego Bay, and
sightseeing information about the San Diego area as well as helpful
information if you are also attending the ICA Annual Conference.

We have secured extremely low room rates at a beautiful waterfront hotel
with great amenities:

Best Western Plus Island Palms Hotel & Marina

2051 Shelter Island Drive

San Diego, California 92106 USA

To make your hotel room reservation, please call +1-800-922-2336
<(800)%20922-2336> or +1-619-222-0561 <(619)%20222-0561>, or email
[email-masked] and be sure to identify yourself as part of the PPDD
group to be eligible for the deeply-discounted rate of $135USD/night (plus
tax), including complimentary Internet access, recreational activities,
parking, and more.  PPDD 2017 room rates are available from 20 May through
29 May -- please see http://www.ppdd.org/conferences/ppdd2017/
hotelactivities/ for complete details.

Reservation Deadline: This special discounted room rate will be available
until 23 April or when the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first.

For those attending ICA as well as PPDD, there is easy access from PPDD’s
hotel to the ICA Hilton Bayfront Hotel via an inexpensive, approximately
20-minute Uber or taxi ride.

------------------------------------

REGISTRATION

------------------------------------

The PPDD 2017 Conference registration fee is:

$99USD for students

$129USD for college/university/non-profit/NGO affiliates

$179 for for-profit corporate affiliates

and includes full access to the Conference as well as hot buffet lunches on
24, 25, and 26 May plus the Conference reception and banquet dinner after
the Conference programming on 24 May.

Registration will open in March 2017.  Please visit http://www.ppdd.org/
conferences/ppdd2017/registration/ for complete details.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOUR PPDD 2017 CONFERENCE LEADERSHIP TEAM

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conference Organizer

Susan B. Kretchmer, Partnership for Progress on the Digital Divide

Europe Organizer

Grant Blank, Oxford University and Oxford Internet Institute

Africa Organizer

Bill Tucker, University of the Western Cape and Bridging Application and
Network Gaps

Asia, the Pacific, and the Middle East Organizer

Gerard Goggin, University of Sydney

Canada Organizer

Richard Smith, Simon Fraser University and Centre for Digital Media

United States Organizer

Susan B. Kretchmer, Partnership for Progress on the Digital Divide

Latin America and the Caribbean Organizers

Laura Robinson, Santa Clara University

Hopeton S. Dunn, University of the West Indies, Jamaica and Caribbean
Institute of Media and Communication

Policymaker and Practitioner Liaison

Angela Siefer, National Digital Inclusion Alliance

------------------------------------

CO-SPONSORS

------------------------------------

American Anthropological Association Committee on the Anthropology of
Science, Technology, and Computing

American Library Association Office for Information Technology Policy

American Political Science Association Information Technology and Politics
Section

American Public Health Association Health Informatics Information
Technology Section

American Sociological Association Communication, Information Technologies,
and Media Sociology Section

Community Informatics Research Network

International Association for Media and Communication Research
Communication Policy and Technology Section

International Association for Media and Communication Research Digital
Divide Working Group

International Association for Media and Communication Research Global Media
Policy Working Group

International Communication Association

International Communication Association Communication and Technology
Division

International Communication Association Communication Law and Policy
Division

International Communication Association Mass Communication Division

iSchools

National Digital Inclusion Alliance

NTEN: The Nonprofit Technology Network

Urban Libraries Council, Edge Initiative

William D. Tucker (aka Bill)
Associate Professor of Computer Science
University of the Western Cape (UWC)
Bellville, Cape Town, South Africa
+27 82 494 8884 <+27%2082%20494%208884>
www.cs.uwc.ac.za/~btucker
Community-based projects: Zenzeleni <http://zenzeleni.net/> and SignSupport
<http://www.signsupport.org/>
Our brochure for Bridging Application and Network Gaps (BANG)
<http://www.cs.uwc.ac.za/~btucker/BANGbrochure.pdf>