Subject: [gaia] CFP: IFIP Networking 2017 - Interdisciplinary Workshop on DIY and Community Networking, Stockholm, Sweden

From: Arjuna Sathiaseelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2017 21:58:18 +0000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our apologies if you received multiple copies of this CFP
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CALL FOR PAPERS
IFIP Networking 2017 Interdisciplinary Workshop on DIY and Community
Networking
Place: Stockholm, Sweden
Date: June 12, 2017
http://diynetworking.net/ifipnetworking2017/

Important Dates
Abstract submission:             March 20, 2017
Full paper:                            March 30, 2017
Notification of acceptance:    April 10, 2017
Camera-ready papers due:    April 27, 2017
DIY networking Workshop:     June  12, 2017

Submission guidelines
http://diynetworking.net/ifipnetworking2017/submission.php

---------
Scope:
This workshop is a joint venture of three EU Horizon2020 projects, MAZI,
netCommons, and RIFE, in an effort to join forces around the design and use
of DIY and community networking technologies for the common good, using a
highly interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary approach. With DIY and
community networking we refer to a diverse set of networking technologies
that range from large-scale community networks to small scale wireless
installations supporting local applications accessible only to those
residing in the coverage area of the network. DIY and community networking
represent two frontier research themes that can open new and exciting
research and application areas. On the one hand, the locality of DIY
networks enables the design of hybrid spaces and places for social
sustainability, collective awareness, and conviviality. On the other hand,
community networking is one of the most promising approach to overcome
digital divide.

What bridges these two themes is the idea that networks are not only a way
to "access the Internet", but they are a way to connect people, and people
make "the Internet". This workshop will contribute to investigate the way
that local applications can influence the creation and the governance of
community networks, and how community networks can stimulate the creation
of novel local applications.

DIY and community networks are embedded with the local social environment
where they grow, so their study cannot be separated from the understanding
of their societal stimuli and societal impact. For this reason the workshop
will be highly interdisciplinary aiming to bridge the communication gap
between those that build the technology (computer scientists, engineers,
and hackers) and those that understand better the complex urban environment
where this technology will be deployed (social and political scientists,
urban planners, and designers). More specifically, people working on
applications and uses of ICT are not always aware of the capabilities of
technology for building local communication networks, on the other hand,
scientists in the field of networking are often indifferent on the actual
use and social implications of the technical solutions they design. We
believe that we are currently in a moment in history when it is
particularly important to bridge this gap between engineering and social
sciences, to create an alternative to the current trend of centralization
of resources and control that is taking place at a global scale on the
Internet.

Some of the themes that we want to be central in the workshop are:

- Technical contributions that render DIY networking technology easier to
understand and use by for less technically savvy people
- Theoretical contributions that can facilitate the understanding of the
various inherent trade-offs in the design of DIY networks and the
translation of engineering decisions to constraints and requirements for
applications developers and vice versa.
- The integration of community networking with DIY applications, models of
deployment, experiences of success and failure for this combination.
- The exploration of the trade-off between Internet access networks and
local networks for experimenters, hackers and citizens.
- The way DIY and community networks can be placed in the frame of other
horizontal and bottom-up experiences, such as Peer Production movements.
- The links and interrelations between DIY and community networking in the
frame of the models for alternative Internets, such as peer-to-peer
networking, overlay networks, blockchain technologies etc.
- Revisit key engineering questions, such as routing protocols, energy
consumption, automation, resiliency in light of the possible practical uses
of DIY networking technologies.

For the special interdisciplinary session we welcome the following types of
contributions:

- Demos of working prototypes of DIY networking applications or systems
- Posters or design mock-ups of imaginary applications
- Short tutorials on important concepts that can facilitate
interdisciplinary collaborations
- Other alternative formats like interviews, testimonies, artistic
treatments

-----
Organizing Committee:

Chairs
Panayotis Antoniadis (NetHood, CH)
Leonardo Maccari (University of Trento, IT)
Jörg Ott (Technical University of Munich, DE)
Arjuna Sathiaseelan (University of Cambridge, UK)

Programme Committee
Ileana Apostol (NetHood Zurich, CH)
Roger Baig (Guifi.net Foundation, ES)
Bart Braem (University of Antwerp, BE)
Dimitris Boucas (University of Westminster, UK)
Roberto Caso (University of Trento, IT)
Renato Lo Cigno (University of Trento, IT)
Manos Dimogerontakis (UPC, ES)
Melanie Dulong de Rosnay (CNRS, FR)
Felix Freitag (UPC, ES)
Mark Gaved (The Open University - Milton Keynes, UK)
Federica Giovanella (University of Trento, IT)
Christian Fuchs (University of Westminster, UK)
Ingi Helgason (Edinburgh Napier University, UK)
Karin Anna Hummel (Johannes Kepler University Linz, AU)
George Iosifidis (Trinity College Dublin, IR)
Jussi Kangasharju (University of Helsinki, FI)
Merkourios Karaliopoulos (Athens University of Economics and Business, GR)
Thanasis Korakis (University of Thessaly, GR)
Matthias Korn (University of Siegen, DE)
Iordanis Koutsopoulos (Athens University of Economics and Business, GR)
William Lieu (Auckland University of Technology, NZ)
Anders Lindgren (Swedish Institute of Computer Science  Kista, SE)
Maria Michalis (University of Westminster, UK)
Leandro Navarro (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, ES)
Andrea Passarella (CNR - Pisa, IT)
Claudio Pisa (CNIT - Roma, IT)
Amalia Sabiescu (Loughborough University London, UK)
Douglas Schuler (Evergreen State College - Olympia, US)
Michael Smyth (Edinburgh Napier University, UK)
Felix Treguer (CNRS, FR)
Andreas Unteidig (UdK Berlin, DE)

-- 
Arjuna Sathiaseelan
Personal: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/
N4D Lab: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~as2330/n4d