Subject: [gaia] Fwd: The UN Broadband Commission has adopted A4AI's 2% affordability target!

From: Ivy Hoetu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 19:02:55 +0000

A way to go in ensuring internet access for all...for your information
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Alliance for Affordable Internet" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jan 2018 9:09 pm
Subject: The UN Broadband Commission has adopted A4AI's 2% affordability
target!
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc:

The UN Broadband Commission today launched a new set of targets to achieve
internet for all, including a new affordability target of 2% of GNI pc.
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=7da27b693e&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
*UN Broadband Commission Agrees to Work Toward More Ambitious A4AI
Affordability Target*

The A4AI team is thrilled to share with you some exciting news out of
Davos: The UN Broadband Commission has just adopted our “1 for 2”
affordability target
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=6c50c66cfb&e=7c3c8ff8ec>!
At a joint meeting of the Commission and the World Economic Forum today,
the Commission launched a set of seven ambitious 2025 targets designed to
connect the 50% of the world still offline and, more widely, to achieve the
Sustainable Development Goals set in 2015.

As you all know, we first proposed a new “1 for 2” affordability target in
our 2015-16 Affordability Report
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=c358fc56ad&e=7c3c8ff8ec>;
since then, encouraging adoption of the “1 for 2” affordability target has
been at the heart of much of our advocacy work. We are delighted and
encouraged to see the UN adopt this target, and to join Nigeria
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=48a14946e7&e=7c3c8ff8ec>,
Ghana
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=aa236c46b6&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
and ECOWAS
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=13107bd1ed&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
in working toward an affordability threshold that should enable billions
more to be able to afford entry-level broadband access.

The full list of the Commission’s 2025 Targets, which are pasted below, lay
out a number of other relevant goals, including for all countries to have
funded national broadband plans, and a call for gender equality across all
targets. To learn more about this exciting update, please do see this blog
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=8605bb79a9&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
we’ve just posted on the A4AI site and the Commission’s press release
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d2b98160ea&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
from this morning.

*Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development 2025 Targets:*

   1.

   *By 2025, all countries should have a funded national broadband plan or
   strategy, or include broadband in their universal access and services
   definition.*
   2.

   *By 2025, entry-level broadband services should be made affordable in
   developing countries, at less than 2% of monthly gross national income per
   capita.*
   3.

   *By 2025 broadband / Internet user penetration should reach: 75%
   worldwide, 65% in developing countries, and 35% in least developed
   countries.*
   4.

   *By 2025, 60% of youth and adults should have achieved at least a
   minimum level of proficiency in sustainable digital skills.*
   5.

   *By 2025, 40% of the world's population should be using digital
   financial services.*
   6.

   *By 2025, unconnectedness of Micro-, Small- and Medium-sized Enterprises
   should be reduced by 50%, by sector.*
   7.

   *By 2025, gender equality should be achieved across all targets.*

We look forward to working with you to build on this exciting milestone and
to continue progress toward affordable internet in 2018!

Best,

The A4AI team

*About A4AI*

The Alliance for Affordable Internet (A4AI) is a global coalition of public
sector, private sector, and civil society organizations working to advance
the shared mission of affordable internet access for all.
CC BY, 2018 World Wide Web Foundation

World Wide Web Foundation
1110 Vermont Ave. NW,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
 Suite 500
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
Washington, DC 20005

unsubscribe
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec&c=16752cc172>
 |  update subscription
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
 | visit a4ai.org
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=a3e38f30b1&e=7c3c8ff8ec>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Alliance for Affordable Internet" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jan 2018 9:09 pm
Subject: The UN Broadband Commission has adopted A4AI's 2% affordability
target!
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc:

The UN Broadband Commission today launched a new set of targets to achieve
internet for all, including a new affordability target of 2% of GNI pc.
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=7da27b693e&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
*UN Broadband Commission Agrees to Work Toward More Ambitious A4AI
Affordability Target*

The A4AI team is thrilled to share with you some exciting news out of
Davos: The UN Broadband Commission has just adopted our “1 for 2”
affordability target
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=6c50c66cfb&e=7c3c8ff8ec>!
At a joint meeting of the Commission and the World Economic Forum today,
the Commission launched a set of seven ambitious 2025 targets designed to
connect the 50% of the world still offline and, more widely, to achieve the
Sustainable Development Goals set in 2015.

As you all know, we first proposed a new “1 for 2” affordability target in
our 2015-16 Affordability Report
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=c358fc56ad&e=7c3c8ff8ec>;
since then, encouraging adoption of the “1 for 2” affordability target has
been at the heart of much of our advocacy work. We are delighted and
encouraged to see the UN adopt this target, and to join Nigeria
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=48a14946e7&e=7c3c8ff8ec>,
Ghana
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=aa236c46b6&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
and ECOWAS
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=13107bd1ed&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
in working toward an affordability threshold that should enable billions
more to be able to afford entry-level broadband access.

The full list of the Commission’s 2025 Targets, which are pasted below, lay
out a number of other relevant goals, including for all countries to have
funded national broadband plans, and a call for gender equality across all
targets. To learn more about this exciting update, please do see this blog
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=8605bb79a9&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
we’ve just posted on the A4AI site and the Commission’s press release
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d2b98160ea&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
from this morning.

*Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development 2025 Targets:*

   1.

   *By 2025, all countries should have a funded national broadband plan or
   strategy, or include broadband in their universal access and services
   definition.*
   2.

   *By 2025, entry-level broadband services should be made affordable in
   developing countries, at less than 2% of monthly gross national income per
   capita.*
   3.

   *By 2025 broadband / Internet user penetration should reach: 75%
   worldwide, 65% in developing countries, and 35% in least developed
   countries.*
   4.

   *By 2025, 60% of youth and adults should have achieved at least a
   minimum level of proficiency in sustainable digital skills.*
   5.

   *By 2025, 40% of the world's population should be using digital
   financial services.*
   6.

   *By 2025, unconnectedness of Micro-, Small- and Medium-sized Enterprises
   should be reduced by 50%, by sector.*
   7.

   *By 2025, gender equality should be achieved across all targets.*

We look forward to working with you to build on this exciting milestone and
to continue progress toward affordable internet in 2018!

Best,

The A4AI team

*About A4AI*

The Alliance for Affordable Internet (A4AI) is a global coalition of public
sector, private sector, and civil society organizations working to advance
the shared mission of affordable internet access for all.
CC BY, 2018 World Wide Web Foundation

World Wide Web Foundation
1110 Vermont Ave. NW,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
 Suite 500
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
Washington, DC 20005

unsubscribe
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec&c=16752cc172>
 |  update subscription
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
 | visit a4ai.org
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=a3e38f30b1&e=7c3c8ff8ec>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Alliance for Affordable Internet" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jan 2018 9:09 pm
Subject: The UN Broadband Commission has adopted A4AI's 2% affordability
target!
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc:

The UN Broadband Commission today launched a new set of targets to achieve
internet for all, including a new affordability target of 2% of GNI pc.
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=7da27b693e&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
*UN Broadband Commission Agrees to Work Toward More Ambitious A4AI
Affordability Target*

The A4AI team is thrilled to share with you some exciting news out of
Davos: The UN Broadband Commission has just adopted our “1 for 2”
affordability target
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=6c50c66cfb&e=7c3c8ff8ec>!
At a joint meeting of the Commission and the World Economic Forum today,
the Commission launched a set of seven ambitious 2025 targets designed to
connect the 50% of the world still offline and, more widely, to achieve the
Sustainable Development Goals set in 2015.

As you all know, we first proposed a new “1 for 2” affordability target in
our 2015-16 Affordability Report
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=c358fc56ad&e=7c3c8ff8ec>;
since then, encouraging adoption of the “1 for 2” affordability target has
been at the heart of much of our advocacy work. We are delighted and
encouraged to see the UN adopt this target, and to join Nigeria
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=48a14946e7&e=7c3c8ff8ec>,
Ghana
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=aa236c46b6&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
and ECOWAS
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=13107bd1ed&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
in working toward an affordability threshold that should enable billions
more to be able to afford entry-level broadband access.

The full list of the Commission’s 2025 Targets, which are pasted below, lay
out a number of other relevant goals, including for all countries to have
funded national broadband plans, and a call for gender equality across all
targets. To learn more about this exciting update, please do see this blog
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=8605bb79a9&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
we’ve just posted on the A4AI site and the Commission’s press release
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d2b98160ea&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
from this morning.

*Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development 2025 Targets:*

   1.

   *By 2025, all countries should have a funded national broadband plan or
   strategy, or include broadband in their universal access and services
   definition.*
   2.

   *By 2025, entry-level broadband services should be made affordable in
   developing countries, at less than 2% of monthly gross national income per
   capita.*
   3.

   *By 2025 broadband / Internet user penetration should reach: 75%
   worldwide, 65% in developing countries, and 35% in least developed
   countries.*
   4.

   *By 2025, 60% of youth and adults should have achieved at least a
   minimum level of proficiency in sustainable digital skills.*
   5.

   *By 2025, 40% of the world's population should be using digital
   financial services.*
   6.

   *By 2025, unconnectedness of Micro-, Small- and Medium-sized Enterprises
   should be reduced by 50%, by sector.*
   7.

   *By 2025, gender equality should be achieved across all targets.*

We look forward to working with you to build on this exciting milestone and
to continue progress toward affordable internet in 2018!

Best,

The A4AI team

*About A4AI*

The Alliance for Affordable Internet (A4AI) is a global coalition of public
sector, private sector, and civil society organizations working to advance
the shared mission of affordable internet access for all.
CC BY, 2018 World Wide Web Foundation

World Wide Web Foundation
1110 Vermont Ave. NW,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
 Suite 500
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
Washington, DC 20005

unsubscribe
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec&c=16752cc172>
 |  update subscription
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
 | visit a4ai.org
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=a3e38f30b1&e=7c3c8ff8ec>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Alliance for Affordable Internet" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jan 2018 9:09 pm
Subject: The UN Broadband Commission has adopted A4AI's 2% affordability
target!
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc:

The UN Broadband Commission today launched a new set of targets to achieve
internet for all, including a new affordability target of 2% of GNI pc.
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=7da27b693e&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
*UN Broadband Commission Agrees to Work Toward More Ambitious A4AI
Affordability Target*

The A4AI team is thrilled to share with you some exciting news out of
Davos: The UN Broadband Commission has just adopted our “1 for 2”
affordability target
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=6c50c66cfb&e=7c3c8ff8ec>!
At a joint meeting of the Commission and the World Economic Forum today,
the Commission launched a set of seven ambitious 2025 targets designed to
connect the 50% of the world still offline and, more widely, to achieve the
Sustainable Development Goals set in 2015.

As you all know, we first proposed a new “1 for 2” affordability target in
our 2015-16 Affordability Report
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=c358fc56ad&e=7c3c8ff8ec>;
since then, encouraging adoption of the “1 for 2” affordability target has
been at the heart of much of our advocacy work. We are delighted and
encouraged to see the UN adopt this target, and to join Nigeria
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=48a14946e7&e=7c3c8ff8ec>,
Ghana
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=aa236c46b6&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
and ECOWAS
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=13107bd1ed&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
in working toward an affordability threshold that should enable billions
more to be able to afford entry-level broadband access.

The full list of the Commission’s 2025 Targets, which are pasted below, lay
out a number of other relevant goals, including for all countries to have
funded national broadband plans, and a call for gender equality across all
targets. To learn more about this exciting update, please do see this blog
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=8605bb79a9&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
we’ve just posted on the A4AI site and the Commission’s press release
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d2b98160ea&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
from this morning.

*Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development 2025 Targets:*

   1.

   *By 2025, all countries should have a funded national broadband plan or
   strategy, or include broadband in their universal access and services
   definition.*
   2.

   *By 2025, entry-level broadband services should be made affordable in
   developing countries, at less than 2% of monthly gross national income per
   capita.*
   3.

   *By 2025 broadband / Internet user penetration should reach: 75%
   worldwide, 65% in developing countries, and 35% in least developed
   countries.*
   4.

   *By 2025, 60% of youth and adults should have achieved at least a
   minimum level of proficiency in sustainable digital skills.*
   5.

   *By 2025, 40% of the world's population should be using digital
   financial services.*
   6.

   *By 2025, unconnectedness of Micro-, Small- and Medium-sized Enterprises
   should be reduced by 50%, by sector.*
   7.

   *By 2025, gender equality should be achieved across all targets.*

We look forward to working with you to build on this exciting milestone and
to continue progress toward affordable internet in 2018!

Best,

The A4AI team

*About A4AI*

The Alliance for Affordable Internet (A4AI) is a global coalition of public
sector, private sector, and civil society organizations working to advance
the shared mission of affordable internet access for all.
CC BY, 2018 World Wide Web Foundation

World Wide Web Foundation
1110 Vermont Ave. NW,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
 Suite 500
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
Washington, DC 20005

unsubscribe
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec&c=16752cc172>
 |  update subscription
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
 | visit a4ai.org
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=a3e38f30b1&e=7c3c8ff8ec>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Alliance for Affordable Internet" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jan 2018 9:09 pm
Subject: The UN Broadband Commission has adopted A4AI's 2% affordability
target!
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc:

The UN Broadband Commission today launched a new set of targets to achieve
internet for all, including a new affordability target of 2% of GNI pc.
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=7da27b693e&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
*UN Broadband Commission Agrees to Work Toward More Ambitious A4AI
Affordability Target*

The A4AI team is thrilled to share with you some exciting news out of
Davos: The UN Broadband Commission has just adopted our “1 for 2”
affordability target
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=6c50c66cfb&e=7c3c8ff8ec>!
At a joint meeting of the Commission and the World Economic Forum today,
the Commission launched a set of seven ambitious 2025 targets designed to
connect the 50% of the world still offline and, more widely, to achieve the
Sustainable Development Goals set in 2015.

As you all know, we first proposed a new “1 for 2” affordability target in
our 2015-16 Affordability Report
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=c358fc56ad&e=7c3c8ff8ec>;
since then, encouraging adoption of the “1 for 2” affordability target has
been at the heart of much of our advocacy work. We are delighted and
encouraged to see the UN adopt this target, and to join Nigeria
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=48a14946e7&e=7c3c8ff8ec>,
Ghana
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=aa236c46b6&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
and ECOWAS
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=13107bd1ed&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
in working toward an affordability threshold that should enable billions
more to be able to afford entry-level broadband access.

The full list of the Commission’s 2025 Targets, which are pasted below, lay
out a number of other relevant goals, including for all countries to have
funded national broadband plans, and a call for gender equality across all
targets. To learn more about this exciting update, please do see this blog
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=8605bb79a9&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
we’ve just posted on the A4AI site and the Commission’s press release
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d2b98160ea&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
from this morning.

*Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development 2025 Targets:*

   1.

   *By 2025, all countries should have a funded national broadband plan or
   strategy, or include broadband in their universal access and services
   definition.*
   2.

   *By 2025, entry-level broadband services should be made affordable in
   developing countries, at less than 2% of monthly gross national income per
   capita.*
   3.

   *By 2025 broadband / Internet user penetration should reach: 75%
   worldwide, 65% in developing countries, and 35% in least developed
   countries.*
   4.

   *By 2025, 60% of youth and adults should have achieved at least a
   minimum level of proficiency in sustainable digital skills.*
   5.

   *By 2025, 40% of the world's population should be using digital
   financial services.*
   6.

   *By 2025, unconnectedness of Micro-, Small- and Medium-sized Enterprises
   should be reduced by 50%, by sector.*
   7.

   *By 2025, gender equality should be achieved across all targets.*

We look forward to working with you to build on this exciting milestone and
to continue progress toward affordable internet in 2018!

Best,

The A4AI team

*About A4AI*

The Alliance for Affordable Internet (A4AI) is a global coalition of public
sector, private sector, and civil society organizations working to advance
the shared mission of affordable internet access for all.
CC BY, 2018 World Wide Web Foundation

World Wide Web Foundation
1110 Vermont Ave. NW,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
 Suite 500
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
Washington, DC 20005

unsubscribe
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec&c=16752cc172>
 |  update subscription
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
 | visit a4ai.org
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=a3e38f30b1&e=7c3c8ff8ec>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Alliance for Affordable Internet" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Jan 2018 9:09 pm
Subject: The UN Broadband Commission has adopted A4AI's 2% affordability
target!
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc:

The UN Broadband Commission today launched a new set of targets to achieve
internet for all, including a new affordability target of 2% of GNI pc.
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=7da27b693e&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
*UN Broadband Commission Agrees to Work Toward More Ambitious A4AI
Affordability Target*

The A4AI team is thrilled to share with you some exciting news out of
Davos: The UN Broadband Commission has just adopted our “1 for 2”
affordability target
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=6c50c66cfb&e=7c3c8ff8ec>!
At a joint meeting of the Commission and the World Economic Forum today,
the Commission launched a set of seven ambitious 2025 targets designed to
connect the 50% of the world still offline and, more widely, to achieve the
Sustainable Development Goals set in 2015.

As you all know, we first proposed a new “1 for 2” affordability target in
our 2015-16 Affordability Report
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=c358fc56ad&e=7c3c8ff8ec>;
since then, encouraging adoption of the “1 for 2” affordability target has
been at the heart of much of our advocacy work. We are delighted and
encouraged to see the UN adopt this target, and to join Nigeria
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=48a14946e7&e=7c3c8ff8ec>,
Ghana
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=aa236c46b6&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
and ECOWAS
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=13107bd1ed&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
in working toward an affordability threshold that should enable billions
more to be able to afford entry-level broadband access.

The full list of the Commission’s 2025 Targets, which are pasted below, lay
out a number of other relevant goals, including for all countries to have
funded national broadband plans, and a call for gender equality across all
targets. To learn more about this exciting update, please do see this blog
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=8605bb79a9&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
we’ve just posted on the A4AI site and the Commission’s press release
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d2b98160ea&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
from this morning.

*Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development 2025 Targets:*

   1.

   *By 2025, all countries should have a funded national broadband plan or
   strategy, or include broadband in their universal access and services
   definition.*
   2.

   *By 2025, entry-level broadband services should be made affordable in
   developing countries, at less than 2% of monthly gross national income per
   capita.*
   3.

   *By 2025 broadband / Internet user penetration should reach: 75%
   worldwide, 65% in developing countries, and 35% in least developed
   countries.*
   4.

   *By 2025, 60% of youth and adults should have achieved at least a
   minimum level of proficiency in sustainable digital skills.*
   5.

   *By 2025, 40% of the world's population should be using digital
   financial services.*
   6.

   *By 2025, unconnectedness of Micro-, Small- and Medium-sized Enterprises
   should be reduced by 50%, by sector.*
   7.

   *By 2025, gender equality should be achieved across all targets.*

We look forward to working with you to build on this exciting milestone and
to continue progress toward affordable internet in 2018!

Best,

The A4AI team

*About A4AI*

The Alliance for Affordable Internet (A4AI) is a global coalition of public
sector, private sector, and civil society organizations working to advance
the shared mission of affordable internet access for all.
CC BY, 2018 World Wide Web Foundation

World Wide Web Foundation
1110 Vermont Ave. NW,
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
 Suite 500
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1110+Vermont+Ave.+NW,%C2%A0Suite+500+%0D+Washington,+DC+20005&entry=gmail&source=g>
Washington, DC 20005

unsubscribe
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec&c=16752cc172>
 |  update subscription
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/profile?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=d532f0a389&e=7c3c8ff8ec>
 | visit a4ai.org
<https://a4ai.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=140b64295484059aa7f2d5fc9&id=a3e38f30b1&e=7c3c8ff8ec>