Subject: [gaia] ACM COMPASS 2018 Call for Notes and Work-in-progress Posters: March 30th, 2018

From: Kurtis Heimerl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 20:54:19 -0800

The Notes and Posters Chairs (Kurtis Heimerl, University of Washington and
Nithya Sambasivan, Google) invite you to submit your more compact research
to the ACM COMPASS notes and work-in-progress posters tracks this March.
ACM COMPASS is a broad, interdisciplinary conference focused on research
that benefits underrepresented communities throughout the world. This notes
track is appropriate for smaller-scale focused research results and, as a
new addition, position papers (e.g. HotConference-style) in the ICTD and/or
Sustainability spaces. These are completed works and will be published in
the ACM COMPASS proceedings. The official call for notes is below and also
available here <https://acmcompass.org/cfn>. The work-in-progress poster
proposals track is appropriate for works in progress and allows for
researchers to gather feedback and discussion on projects and dissertation
work that is still being developed. These will not be published in the ACM
proceedings. The official call for posters is also below and available here
<https://acmcompass.org/cfposters/>.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Notes

The first annual ACM SIGCAS Conference on Computing and Sustainable
Societies (ACM COMPASS 2018) invites submissions of 4-page Notes for the
main conference program. ACM COMPASS is a re-creation of the ACM DEV
conference, which was held annually between 2010 and 2016. The new
conference expands the focus of the original conference to explicitly
welcome work on underrepresented communities worldwide and includes a new
track on sustainability. To ensure strong contributions, the conference
will accept Notes based on tracks corresponding to the computing areas they
draw upon. The tracks for the 2018 conference are Systems, HCI, Data
Science, Sustainability, and Applications.

Notes are treated to a similar review process as full papers, with a focus
on strength of the research contribution to scholarship in computing and
sustainable societies. However, Notes are more focused and provide a
shorter contribution. For example, related work or discussion may be much
more targeted, rather than aiming for breadth and completeness as in Full
Papers. Notes can be up to 4 pages in length (not including references).
Notes will be published in the ACM SIGCAS proceedings. Due to the short
review cycle, Notes will be assessed as is, without revise and resubmit
provisions. Submissions should be made to
https://compass18notesposters.hotcrp.com.
<https://compass18notesposters.hotcrp.com> Use the CHI 2018 Proceedings
Format available here <https://chi2018.acm.org/chi-proceedings-format/>.
See our FAQ <http://acmcompass.org/faq/> if you still have questions!

Some examples of note-scoped contributions could be:

   -

   A case study of an intervention towards social good and evidence of its
   utility.
   -

   A novel technical system that provides a contribution over known
   techniques in low resource computing.
   -

   An empirical or conceptual understanding of a specific under-represented
   community or situation that enhances how the community or situation is
   viewed within COMPASS.
   -

   A novel methodology for designing, building, or understanding a system
   for under-represented communities.
   -

   An analysis of the impact of a policy, law or regulation in an area
   relevant to COMPASS.
   -

   A discussion with scholarly debate about:
   -

      viewpoints (short articles dedicated to views and opinions on the
      impact of technology in which positions are substantiated by facts or
      principled arguments),
      -

      point/counterpoints (two viewpoints, taking opposite sides of an
      argument), and
      -

      multi-author discussion articles (e.g. authors discuss arguments
      around an issue concerning the impact of technology on society).

Works in progress without a clear research result are not appropriate
submissions and will be rejected. For work-in-progress research, consider
submitting to Posters. Please see the FAQ page for further clarifications.
Important dates

March 30, 2018: Deadline for submission of notes.

April 13, 2018: Notifications of decisions on submitted notes sent.

May 4, 2018: Camera-ready of accepted notes due.

All submissions are due 11:59 pm UTC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Work-in-progress Posters

The first annual ACM SIGCAS conference on computing & sustainable societies
(ACM COMPASS 2018) invites submissions of 4-page work-in-progress poster
proposals. These proposals provide a unique opportunity for sharing
valuable ideas, eliciting useful feedback on early-stage work, and
fostering discussions and collaborations among colleagues. Accepted
submissions will be presented as a physical poster at the conference.
COMPASS 2018 is a re-creation of the ACM DEV conference, which was held
annually between 2010 and 2016. The new conference expands the focus of the
original conference to explicitly welcome work on underrepresented
communities worldwide and includes a new track on sustainability. To ensure
strong contributions, the conference will accept  based on tracks
corresponding to the computing areas they draw upon. The focus areas for
the 2018 conference are Systems, HCI, Data Science, Sustainability, and
Applications.

Poster proposals are structured similarly to Notes, being shorter and more
focused. However, poster proposals are explicitly for works-in-progress and
not completed research. Submissions should represent work that has not
reached a level of completion or maturity that would warrant the full
refereed selection process and should report on cutting edge or emerging
work that has not been fully realized or developed or for which empirical
data may not yet be available. The goal is for this early-phase work to be
presented to the community for feedback. Submitters will be expected to
generate posters for their proposals if accepted and present these at the
2018 ACM COMPASS poster session. Posters and poster proposals will not be
published in ACM SIGCAS proceedings, allowing for future publications on
the same topic. Proposals can be up to 4 pages in length (not including
references). Due to the short review cycle, poster proposals will be
assessed as-is, without revise and resubmit provisions. Submissions should
be made to https://compass18notesposters.hotcrp.com.
<https://compass18notesposters.hotcrp.com> Use the CHI 2018 Proceedings
Format available here <https://chi2018.acm.org/chi-proceedings-format/>.
See our FAQ <http://acmcompass.org/faq/> if you still have questions!

Some examples of poster proposals could be:

   -

   An initial investigation with insufficient statistical power into mobile
   money use in a marginalized community.
   -

   The current state of a specific dissertation project seeking feedback
   and guidance.
   -

   A notable negative result worth discussing with the community.

Important dates

March 30, 2018: Deadline for submission of poster proposals.

April 13, 2018: Notification of decisions on submitted poster proposals.

May 4, 2018: Camera-ready of accepted poster proposals.

All submission are due 11:59 pm UTC.